none
Sharepoint Farm doesn't show up in DPM 2010 under WFE server RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings - 

I'm attempting to backup our Sharepoint Farm using DPM 2010.  I have protection agents installed on each server in the farm and I'm not backing up the SQL databases individually.  I have successfully run the ConfigureSharepoint -EnableSharepointProtection command on the WFE server, however when I go back to DPM to add the farm protection under this server, Sharepoint doesn't show up..  I just get the normal All Shares, All Volumes, and System Protection.. No options for Sharepoint.  

Any Ideas on what I could be missing here?  This was at one time successfully setup for this farm, but the protection was removed and now we're trying to re-add it.  

Thanks...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:23 PM

Answers

• Yes....

That is the issue.

When you run ConfigureSharePoint and use a domain account (usually the SharePoint Farm administrator account) the SharePoint WSS Writer tries to connect to SQL Server to grab the content database information. If this process fails, the writer might not show up.

I'd check if the account you supplied with the ConfigureSharePoint is sysadmin for all SharePoint databases.

There is also a hotfix available that deails with this same issue. You can get the fix and more information by following the link below.

Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 hotfix package (sts-x-none.msp): October 26, 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2405789

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by tecmarcaz Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:23 PM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:27 AM

All replies

• On the WFE server where you ran ConfigureSharePoint, does SharePoint WSS Writer shows up when you run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS?

Are you using SQL Aliases?

Which SharePoint version you have in your production environment?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, February 3, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for your response - 

Sharepoint VSS Writer does not show up when I run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS

I'm not using SQL Aliases although I did run ConfigureSharePoint - ResolveAllSqlAliases to be sure.

Running Sharepoint 2010.  

I'm guessing it has to do with the first thing?  

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Yes....

That is the issue.

When you run ConfigureSharePoint and use a domain account (usually the SharePoint Farm administrator account) the SharePoint WSS Writer tries to connect to SQL Server to grab the content database information. If this process fails, the writer might not show up.

I'd check if the account you supplied with the ConfigureSharePoint is sysadmin for all SharePoint databases.

There is also a hotfix available that deails with this same issue. You can get the fix and more information by following the link below.

Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 hotfix package (sts-x-none.msp): October 26, 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2405789

• Marked as answer by tecmarcaz Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:23 PM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:27 AM
  • It took a while to get it as the hotfix was unavailable about a week, but when we finally got it and installed it, it worked like a charm... Thanks much! 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:24 PM