none
Error 0x80070731 Installing Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I'm trying to enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" tool .  I check the Hyper-V box and click OK.  Windows shows the progress bar, then gives an error "The referenced assembly could not be found" with error code 0x80070731.  Nothing I've found elsewhere on the web has been able to help.  I get the same message about the referenced assembly when I try to enable from the Admin Powershell command line with "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All", or using "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V".  All Windows updates are up-to-date.
    Monday, April 20, 2020 6:39 AM

All replies

• Did you specify an alternate source location??

if yes, the path is too long..

If not, then I don't know.. I would fire up Process Monitor and have a look from where the system tries to get the necessary files.. Include the System process in the trace

HTH
    -mario

Monday, April 20, 2020 7:15 AM
  • Hi - thanks for the input.

No alternative source location specified - no idea how to do that anyway.  Checked Procmon output for the enable Features process and System, looking for unsuccessful file operations, a small number were NAME NOT FOUND trying to open files such as C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePacken-GB_17763.12.30.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Windows\System32\en-GB\KERNELBASE.dll.mui.  Also the following:

C:\Windows\System32\en-GB\imageres.dll.mui

C:\Windows\System32\en\imageres.dll.mui

Makes me wonder if there's something screwy with the languages I have installed (although English UK is the only one installed that I know of ...).

• Edited by MikeMayUK Monday, April 20, 2020 8:17 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:07 AM