Office 2010 - Word cannot open this document template RRS feed

• Question

• In our company we use several Template Add-ins that often contain macro's but for one user I get the error 'Word cannot open the Document Template'. They are normally also listed in the add-ins tab in word but at the moment they are not.

The problems started where they had the  'Word cannot open the Document Template' error and the 'Options' button was greyed out in all office applications so I reset (created a new one)  the users profile and the greyed out options problem was fixed but not the template error. 

I've deleted the templates and allowed new ones to be downloaded to the machine but we still had the same issue. We have other machines using Office 2010 and XP SP3 but they haven't had any issues.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:05 AM

Answers

• A reinstall of Office has fixed the issue
    • Marked as answer by Mulder99UK Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:16 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:16 AM

All replies

• Having created a new profile, the location of the Word Startup folder has probably changed.  Have you saved the add-ins into the current Word Startup folder.  If you access the Templates and Add-ins dialog (via Developer Tab, Templates), do the add-ins appear in the listbox with a check mark against them to indicated that they are loaded?
    Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:51 AM
  • The Addin's have been set to the right folder and are listed in word. When I go into options-addins in word and you try to tick one of the add-in's it comes back with the 'Word cannot open the Document Template'.

I'm going to try a reinstall so see if this fixes the issue.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:54 AM
  • A reinstall of Office has fixed the issue
    • Marked as answer by Mulder99UK Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:16 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:16 AM