none
Issue Syncing Project File with Inactive Tasks to SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to sync an MS Project task list to SharePoint that contains inactive tasks? When I try to sync I get the message "We can't sync the project tasks list because it contains inactive tasks. Make sure there are no inactive tasks and try again."

Is is possible to sync a project plan with inactive tasks?

I am using MS Project 2013 and SharePoint 2010. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:06 PM

All replies

• LShapalis --

As the warning dialog indicates, no, you cannot use Inactive tasks when you synchronize a project with a SharePoint tasks list.  The purpose of the Inactivate Task feature in Microsoft Project 2013 is to cancel tasks that are no longer needed after you baselined your project.  The need for this feature usually arises during the Executing stage of the project when the project is underway, and then you discover there are tasks that are baselined, but now are no longer needed.  If your project is still in the planning stages, and you have not baselined your project, you should delete the unneeded tasks rather than setting them to Inactive status.  But beyond this, you are not going to be able to use the Inactivate Task feature with the Synch to SharePoint Tasks List feature, as they are not compatible.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to use the inactive feature to preserve the original plan and show how the plan evolves over the year. Unfortunately, I have to be able to sync the plans to SP so I will have to figure out another way to preserve the data.

Thanks again,

Laura

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Laura --

You had good intentions, my friend, but we now know that your plan would not work with the way that the Sync to SharePoint Tasks List feature is enabled.  So, this means the Inactive tasks need to go.  And you are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:33 PM