Throttling policy not being applied to RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an application that requires Exchange 2010 SP2 mailbox access via EWS.

The service account has the correct mailbox permissions but when the application opens mailbox folders containing 2000+ messages i get a 'ErrorServerBusy (The server cannot service this request right now. Try again later.)' warning in the log file.

I've created a new throttling policy with null entries as below i've also assigned the policy to the service account mailbox but I still receive the same error when the task runs.

Set-ThrottlingPolicy MSEPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxConcurrency $null -EWSPercentTimeInAD $null -EWSPercentTimeInCAS $null -EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxSubscriptions $null -EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds $null -EWSFindCountLimit $null

I don't see any indication of a corrupt throttling policy forcing the default/fallback policy to be applied.

I'm sure this is still a throttling issue, would diagnostic logging provide further details?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:02 PM

Answers

• If the throttling policy is being exceeded, an error will fire in the event logs on the CAS. Check there

You can also enable further logging:

Understanding Client Throttling Policies

By default, throttling logging is disabled for the RPC client access service. Therefore, you will not see throttling information in the RPC Client Access logs.

To enable throttling logging, follow these steps:

Open the following file in a text editor, such as Notepad: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe.config

In the file, locate the <add key="LoggingTag" value="ConnectDisconnect, Logon, Failures, ApplicationData, Warnings"></add>section. Type Throttling in the comma-separated string. For example, type Throttling in the string that resembles the following: <add key="LoggingTag" value="ConnectDisconnect, Logon, Failures, ApplicationData, Warnings, Throttling"></add>.

Save and then close the file. Restart the RPC Client Access service.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• Just to confirm you applied it to the mailbox when you run get-mailbox serviceaccount |fl throttlingpolicy it comes back as msepolicy? Did you bounce IIS after you applied this policy to the service account?

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Yes get-mailbox serviceaccount | fl name,throttlingpolicy does return the new policy.

I haven't bounced IIS, I did stop/start the MSExchange throttling service.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:05 PM
  • If the throttling policy is being exceeded, an error will fire in the event logs on the CAS. Check there

You can also enable further logging:

Understanding Client Throttling Policies

By default, throttling logging is disabled for the RPC client access service. Therefore, you will not see throttling information in the RPC Client Access logs.

To enable throttling logging, follow these steps:

Open the following file in a text editor, such as Notepad: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe.config

In the file, locate the <add key="LoggingTag" value="ConnectDisconnect, Logon, Failures, ApplicationData, Warnings"></add>section. Type Throttling in the comma-separated string. For example, type Throttling in the string that resembles the following: <add key="LoggingTag" value="ConnectDisconnect, Logon, Failures, ApplicationData, Warnings, Throttling"></add>.

Save and then close the file. Restart the RPC Client Access service.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this thread?

Thanks,

Simon Wu

Exchange Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:02 AM