Sharepoint Server 2007 to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I have Sharepoint Server 2007 32-bit running on Windows Server 2003 X86, and SQL Express

Would like to move it to a different server that has Windows Server 2008 X64 and Sharepoint Server 2007 X64

I have found a technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725%28office.12%29.aspx

The suggested procedure and conditions are as described below. My question is about the database server having the same name. What is the name of my database server?

The 2003 server:

The 2008 server:

It appears the names are different. Can I change these names, and what would I need to do that?

Any pitfalls I need to be aware of with this procedure?

Move all databases to a database server that has the same name

This is a procedure for moving all Office SharePoint Server 2007 databases to an identically named database server. The new database server can differ in the following ways from the original server:

• It runs a newer version of SQL Server—for example, SQL Server 2008 instead of SQL Server 2005.

• It runs a newer version of Windows—for example, Windows Server 2008 instead of Windows Server 2003.

• It is a 64-bit computer that runs a 64-bit operating system, instead of a 32-bit computer that runs a 32-bit operating system.

This procedure uses several different Office SharePoint Server 2007 and SQL Server built-in tools such as the Central Administration Web site, SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE), and the Stsadm command-line tool. The process of moving databases to a new database server includes the following steps:

1. Stop the farm.

2. Detach the databases.

3. Shut down the old database server.

4. Prepare the new database server that has the same name as the old one.

5. Reattach the databases on the new server.

6. Restart the server that is running Central Administration to apply the changes and ensure that the services, Web sites, and application pools that are associated with Office SharePoint Server 2007 are started.

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

• I wasted hours trying to find information on Sharepoint versions. Never found the document you linked to.

Found all sorts of other stuff that was mostly outdated.

I ended up using a support incident and we were on the phone for another 6 hours to get data from server a to server b.

Thanks for all your help.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:40 AM

All replies

• Sorry, the screenshot image for your 2003 server appears to be broken, would you please edit your post to fix this?

The TechNet article you reference contains two links for two scenarios: Move all databases to a different database server and Move all databases to a database server that has the same name. You probably want the first scenario, unless you want to keep the same database server name.

You can't easily change the name of a SQL Server once you've installed SQL Server. It's possible but not recommended. If your server already has SQL Server installed, the best approach would be to uninstall SQL Server, rename the server, and reinstall SQL Server. Now that the server has the same name, you can proceed with the second scenario.

Monday, January 30, 2012 7:41 PM
  • The 2003 server screen shot is below.

The technet article's first scenario is not applicable because there are two different versions on Windows involved: 2003 32bit and 2008 X64.

This is my third attempt in getting this server going. The first time I made the mistake to select the farm option when installing Sharepoint. Wasted hours trying to guess the correct syntax for the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard. Gave up re-installed thinking I had something messed up. Picked the farm option again, and saw that the old SQL databases were still there and again wasted hours trying to figure out the syntax.

The third time I picked single server and that is where I am now.

When restoring the backup from the 2003 Server I get a warning over a version difference between the two servers.

giving up on that to by exploring this scenario.

So,how does one get rid of SQL all the way?

• Edited by wvmstr Monday, January 30, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Playing around a little bit more and attempted another restore. This time I get a warning that I am out of disk space.

Investigation reveals that two of the my restore events have been successful, at least successful in putting my data in SQL on the new server.

Great! Now it is a matter of attaching the database..... right?

WRONG!

The specified SPContentDatabase Name=Content_AAT Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=OfficeServers has been upgraded to a newer version of SharePoint. Please upgrade this SharePoint application server before attempting to access this object.

Version Sharepoint on old server 12.0.0.6605

Version Sharepoint on new server 12.0.0.6565

Question: how does one go from 6565 to 6605??????

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi Wvmstr,

If you have install SP3(Service Pack 3) for your servers, the version number should be 12.0.0.6606. Now your version is 12.0.0.6605, which means you have installed a hotfix before SP3. I would recommend you to upgrade both servers to SP3 before migration.

The following article have more information about the version and the corresponding cumulative update you need to install:

http://www.sharepointdesignerstepbystep.com/blog/SitePages/SharePoint%20versions.aspx

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:51 AM
  • I wasted hours trying to find information on Sharepoint versions. Never found the document you linked to.

Found all sorts of other stuff that was mostly outdated.

I ended up using a support incident and we were on the phone for another 6 hours to get data from server a to server b.

Thanks for all your help.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:40 AM