[SBS 2011 Standard] Windows 10 Build 10586 impossible to connect RRS feed

Answers

• Using the standard way to join SBS domains will not change or affect anything on the server.  The ONLY effect is the auto-magical profile move from the machine profile to the domain profile.  You can do this as the domain admin or the local admin after the fact with copy/paste and on a NEW machine there is nothing in the local profile to move in any case.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, June 4, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

After joining the domain logon as the domain user to create the profile.  Logout and back in as the domain admin.  In the folder C:\users\local user name copy and past the folders you want to move to c:\users\domain user.  Usually Desktop, Favorites, and Documents are all you need, but if anything is missing from the domain users profile after you logon as the domain user, you can always go back and copy that as well.

One important bit could be the .pst file if there is one and adding accumulated email and contacts and calendar items to the Exchange mailbox.  If you don't know how to do that, start a new thread or research in an exchange or outlook forum.  Just do not reference SBS because if you do they will just send you back here.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, June 4, 2016 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error message when failed to connect to SBS? And which step the error prompted? 

Please check and provide log file(ComputerConnector.log) which is located on “%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs”.

Also, check to see if any related event has been logged. 

Besides, I want to confirm with you that whether the problematic Windows 10 is a fresh installed OS? Or, had it been connected to SBS before? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 AM
  • Hello

There's no specific error message.

I do enter http://connect on the windows 10 computer to start adding the computer to the SBS network, and I am simply told that my current windows version is not supported.

There are others thread mentionning this since 1511 windows 10 build is out and I haven't been able to find a single solution that's why I am escalating this on this forum, to find a viable solution with some experts. Reverting back to windows 7 does not sound like a viable plan as we do plan to remain quite stable with SBS 2011 for another couple of years minimum and windows 7 main support is stopped now, so... win10 seems to be the way to go...

Bil
    Monday, May 30, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

Just join the SBS domain the same way you would join a non SBS domain.  Start, File Explorer, right click This PC, properties, Advanced, Computer Name, Change.

Click the Member of Domain radio button, key in the name of the domain in the Member of space.  Ok out, reboot.

Monday, May 30, 2016 8:59 PM
  • It worked for me and I use 1511 as well.  I'd re-verify the lines you added, make sure you didn't copy the "curly-quotes" from the website (replace them with standard quotes).

There are other changes for Win10, you may want to go over this as well:

http://www.thirdtier.net/2016/01/introducing-windows-10-into-your-sbs-2011-standard-network/

-- Al

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Hello

@Larry: Thanks for sharing, is there any issue by doing that ? Just changing the domain is enough ?

Cause as far as I read, the computer will then not be 100% part of the network. Not having the right GPO, network share & stuff worries me a bit

http://superuser.com/questions/386772/difference-between-http-connect-and-manually-joining-domain

• Edited by Bilbotorm Friday, June 3, 2016 12:01 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Hi Al;

What did you do exactly ? I used notepad++ as indeed lots of sites are not using the proper quotes. Is a reboot needed ? Would you mind sharing your xml file just to be sure ? You changed the build bersion to 10586 or 1511 ?

I already tried the webpage you're mentionning, but as far as I can it's to improve the windows 10 support (printer, WSUS, etc.) but i see nothing special that could help connecting the computer to the network

It looks like I am not the only one

Reading this:

https://windowsserveressentials.com/2015/08/17/small-business-server-2011-standardwindows-10/

Updated 18/05/2016

This change no longer works for newer builds of Windows 10 from 1511 onward. Reported to Microsoft but not expecting any fix.

It worries me a lot. Thanks in advance for helping me, this is a real deal blocker for me

• Edited by Bilbotorm Friday, June 3, 2016 12:02 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 11:18 AM
  • Hmmmm. Most of my Win10's 1511 builds were upgrades but I'm sure I've run connect with 1511 at least once.  

My XML is setup with 10240 as per MS's post.  Double verify your syntax, reboot.  Looking at the the other build numbers for say Windows 7 it shows build 7000 which is also old so I'm not sure that is the issue.

I'd keep watching what Pearman finds out and work with Eve.

You could install the old build, connect it, and then upgrade it to 1511.  Or join manually, I don't think there's a big difference just verify the computer is placed in the right folder in the AD and GPO's will work.

-- Al

Friday, June 3, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Using the standard way to join SBS domains will not change or affect anything on the server.  The ONLY effect is the auto-magical profile move from the machine profile to the domain profile.  You can do this as the domain admin or the local admin after the fact with copy/paste and on a NEW machine there is nothing in the local profile to move in any case.

Saturday, June 4, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Hi Larry

Not that familiar with all SBS magic, would you mind giving me more info on that auto magical profile move, not sure what folder to copy and where to copy it

thanks !

Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

After joining the domain logon as the domain user to create the profile.  Logout and back in as the domain admin.  In the folder C:\users\local user name copy and past the folders you want to move to c:\users\domain user.  Usually Desktop, Favorites, and Documents are all you need, but if anything is missing from the domain users profile after you logon as the domain user, you can always go back and copy that as well.

One important bit could be the .pst file if there is one and adding accumulated email and contacts and calendar items to the Exchange mailbox.  If you don't know how to do that, start a new thread or research in an exchange or outlook forum.  Just do not reference SBS because if you do they will just send you back here.

Saturday, June 4, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Hi Larry

thanks for the info. Just one thing, as the PC is brand new, there's nothing to save, so moving these files are not really a key changer, i'll just make sure i don't forget anything special but i'll make a try of your solution is no working XML is found before my next attempt

thanks !

Sunday, June 5, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Please let us know how you make out.  The MVP consensus is that the XML file is a moving target and it is easier and quicker to join manually, even if it is an older heavily used system.

Sunday, June 5, 2016 9:33 PM