none
When will Power Query for Excel 2016 get an update?

Question

• Hi 

I have PQ-models built over 40 days ago in Excel 2013 with PQ addon. 

After upgrading to Excel 2016 i still get a message saying that I have an older version of PQ than the file was created in. 

Doesn't Excel 2016 get regular updates for "GET DATA / Power Query" ? I am missing several functions in Excel 2016. 

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Fenixxen,

We're planning to release a new Power Query update in the next 1-2 weeks that will get both Excel 2013/PQ add-in & Excel 2016 in sync.

Going forward, the plan is to continue with monthly updates to both versions. There was an initial mismatch caused by release schedule alignment between Office 2016 RTM and Power Query add-in versions prior to this RTM release, which are being addressed going forward.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused to you.

Regards,
    M.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Hi, 

In the same boat here!

I migrated to the version 2016 yesterday and stumbled across the incompatibility warning Excel 2016 giving when opening stored queries that are generated with a newer version of power query. In my case the model was generated under Excel 2013 using PQ version 2.25.

However I found that this seems not to be a problem for Excel 2016.

It is possible to open each query in the query editor and save it back to the model. Using this way you can 'downgrade' the queries to the Excel PQ-version and get a fully functioning PP-model.

This workaround is valid of course valid in the case where the newer functionalities of PowerQuery are not used in the queries.

So far I have downgraded using this method three simple models.

Cheers,

Kai

• Marked as answer by Remi Øvstebø Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:01 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Fenixxen,

We're planning to release a new Power Query update in the next 1-2 weeks that will get both Excel 2013/PQ add-in & Excel 2016 in sync.

Going forward, the plan is to continue with monthly updates to both versions. There was an initial mismatch caused by release schedule alignment between Office 2016 RTM and Power Query add-in versions prior to this RTM release, which are being addressed going forward.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused to you.

Regards,
    M.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Thank you very much for a quick answer to this, looking forward to the update and very good to hear that you will try to keep them in sync going forward! :) 

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Hi, 

In the same boat here!

I migrated to the version 2016 yesterday and stumbled across the incompatibility warning Excel 2016 giving when opening stored queries that are generated with a newer version of power query. In my case the model was generated under Excel 2013 using PQ version 2.25.

However I found that this seems not to be a problem for Excel 2016.

It is possible to open each query in the query editor and save it back to the model. Using this way you can 'downgrade' the queries to the Excel PQ-version and get a fully functioning PP-model.

This workaround is valid of course valid in the case where the newer functionalities of PowerQuery are not used in the queries.

So far I have downgraded using this method three simple models.

Cheers,

Kai

• Marked as answer by Remi Øvstebø Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:01 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for the tip! :) 
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:02 AM
  • Hi Miguel,

When will this problem be solved?

Cheers,

Gilvan

Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:19 PM