shares dissapear after server restart RRS feed

• Question

• OS is Windows 2008 Standard x64. I am using builtin iSCSI to connect to Dell Equallogic. I don't have problem to logon to EL drives and access data, but every time i reboot the server, the attached drives dissapear.

I selected Automatically Restore this connection when the computer starts for drives i want connected.
    I also changed local security policy to change Unidentified Networks to Private so that network connection to SAN is treated as Private network
    I added opened port 3260 for both inbound and outbound connections.

After i restart the server i can re-attach drives...

What am I missing?
    • Edited by Damir Tejic Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:57 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please undo all suggestions in  KB870964 first. Let’s focus on the original iSCSI issue to avoid confuse. If you have complete system backup, I suggest you restore the system if there is any error.

In order to narrow down the cause of this issue, I suggest you try to setup the iSCSI connection and share on another server/client to make sure Dell Equallogic is compatible with your systems.

On another Windows 2008 server, please perform all test. If there is Windows 2008 server, please download the following Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 on client computer and install it. Access the server and test.  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=12cb3c1a-15d6-4585-b385-befd1319f825&displaylang=en#filelist

Is there any progress? If not, please help to collect MPS Report for research and let us know if you have setup any authentication method for iSCSI.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the current information, we cannot find the root cause of this issue. Please help to clarify the following information for research.

1.    Does this issue occur on any other server?
    2.    Have you tried Clean Boot to test? If not, please test in Clean Boot.
    3.    After restart, could you see iSCSI disks in Disk Management?
    4.    After restart, open builtin iSCSI Initiator, could you find all iSCSI target in Target tab without manually connect to the server?

If the issue persists in Clean Boot, please run the MPS report (PFE version) on the server for the analyzing. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist you with fault isolation.

A . Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en)

Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location.

B . Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.

C . Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?

D . When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Send this file to tfwst@microsoft.com for research.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:52 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply. I reinstalled whole server. Clean install, did not apply any patches. I added File Server and IIS roles. I installed SQL 2005 and DPM2007. i didn't install any patch for the OS. firewall is on

I confgured the iSCSI again by going to advanced settings and selecting local adapter, source ip, target portal. i also configured the network connection (disabled tcp/ipv6), disabled 'append parent suffixes...", registering with dns, netbios over tcp/ip. after i restart the server now, i get the drives back, so original problem is solved.

i have new problem now. after i restart, the shares on iSCSI drives dissapear, while other shares remain active. I also found that iscsi drives don't have admin share enabled ($). other drives have them and they're accesible.

i will patch the os and see if the problem of disspearing iSCSI drives reappears.

cheers
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the original was resolved. Regarding the new issue, it may occur when the iSCSI Initiator service is not initialized when the Server service initializes. The Server service creates file shares. However, because iSCSI disk devices are not available, the Server service cannot create file shares for iSCSI devices until the iSCSI service is initialized.

Please try the suggestions to make the Server service dependent on the iSCSI Initiator service in the following article.

File shares on iSCSI devices may not be re-created when you restart the computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870964

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Monday, January 5, 2009 1:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Damir Tejic Monday, January 5, 2009 2:21 AM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi

I followed the steps from the KB, but it is not working. Moreover, quite few services crashed. I will post the error logs here.

One of the first errors i get when i remotely logon is 

Failed to connect to a windows service
    Windows could not connect to the User Profile Service service.
    This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system
    As an administrative user, you can review the System Event
    Log for details about why the service didn’t respond

I deleted registry key (which was suggested suggested by the KB) for Lanman server DependOnService
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer but the error is still there

THis is from SYSTEM log
    When i look at the log after restarting, first error message is
    Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.
    According to 
    this link  it is warining rather than error message

Next error message is a warning (EventID 11164)
    The system failed to register host (A or AAAA) resource records for network adapter with settings:...

Next error message
    EventID 7000, 7005 and 7001
    The Secondary Logon service failed to start due to the following error:
    The pipe has been ended.

The LoadUserProfile call failed with the following error:
    The RPC server is unavailable.

The IP Helper service depends on the Windows Management Instrumentation service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The pipe state is invalid.

After this i get bunch of failed services with EventID 7031 10:51:23 AM
    The Application Experience service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The User Profile Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Task Scheduler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The System Event Notification Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Shell Hardware Detection service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

second round of EventID 7031
    The Application Experience service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s). 
    The Certificate Propagation service terminated unexpectedly.
    The Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Task Scheduler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).
    The Terminal Services Configuration service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    The Shell Hardware Detection service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).
    The Windows Management Instrumentation service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s). 

EventID7032
    The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Management Instrumentation service, but this action failed with the following error:
    An instance of the service is already running.

The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Management Instrumentation service, but this action failed with the following error:
    An instance of the service is already running. 

I was able to start services in question manually, but when i start Server service, i get error message in Application log
    Faulting application svchost.exe_LanmanServer, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919291, faulting module srvsvc.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791ae0a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000000139dc, process id 0xff4, application start time 0x01c96eeba8eb0ebb.

Monday, January 5, 2009 2:22 AM
  • Some forums suggested that missing srv.sys srvsvc.dll might be the problem, but i checked and they're in system32 and system32\drivers folders
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Please undo all suggestions in  KB870964 first. Let’s focus on the original iSCSI issue to avoid confuse. If you have complete system backup, I suggest you restore the system if there is any error.

In order to narrow down the cause of this issue, I suggest you try to setup the iSCSI connection and share on another server/client to make sure Dell Equallogic is compatible with your systems.

On another Windows 2008 server, please perform all test. If there is Windows 2008 server, please download the following Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 on client computer and install it. Access the server and test.  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=12cb3c1a-15d6-4585-b385-befd1319f825&displaylang=en#filelist

Is there any progress? If not, please help to collect MPS Report for research and let us know if you have setup any authentication method for iSCSI.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:06 AM
  • I am experiencing this precise problem.  If you implement the solution found in KB870964, it seems to corrupt the "Server" service.  Even after undoing the KB870964 solution, the service remains in a state where it can not be turned on.   There seems to be no way to maintain shares in an iSCSI environment on Windows Server 2008.  Was there any resolution to the problem since January 6...the last post in this thread?
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:13 AM
  • I have the same issue on a windows 2000 server with 2.08 installed.  So it's not just 2008.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Have exactly the same problem on  server 2008 64bit. If I boot with the iSCSI Initator service disable all is ok.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:50 PM
  • same problem here.. solved by undoing the KB870964!

IMPORTANT:

The value of the Multi-String-Key "DependOnService" have to be:

SamSS
    Srv

not:

SamSS Srv

---
    need a break after SamSS... for me it works.. got win 2008 64bit sp2 w/o hyper-v...

greez
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Has anyone figured this problem out for Windows 2008 R2?  This KB does noes not work for Windows 2008 R2 (KB870964) so what is the work around or fix?

Monday, June 7, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Yeah, I'd like to know what to do with 2008 R2 as well.  I've been using iSCSI volumes since 2004 or so with Server 2000/2003 and making LanManServer dependent on msiscsi or the spooler service has resolved the problem in the past.  I can simply restart lanmanserver after boot and all the shares reappear, but that's a weak solution.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:02 PM
  • When you run the contents of KB 870964 it removes the current dependencies from the server service.  You need to go to the dependency key in the registry under the LanManServer and make sure the following values are here:

SamSS
    Srv

Reboot and your server service should start again

• Proposed as answer by grum13 Friday, November 12, 2010 4:46 PM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Hi I just had a new ISCSI SAN and email fell over for no reason. The LANMANSERVER service would not start.

Server 2008R2 all upto date and patched.

The MS article KB8700964 was run by the engineer it removes dependencies NOT APPENDS.

gorski9 you saved me rebuilding my exchange server many thanks.

MS refunded £200 and agreed to review their article and did not charge. Unfortunately I had rung them after 8 hours of getting no where but found this fix before they called back.

Make sure you have the SamSS and Srv as well.

G

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:55 PM
  • The correct command to apply the MSiSCSI dependency on LanManServer for 2008 and 2008 R2 is:

sc config LanManServer depend= MSiSCSI/SamSs/srv

I've used this with about 80+ 2008 and 2008 R2 Virtual Machines with iSCSI attached volumes on Dell EqualLogic SANS.

• Edited by FASBeavers Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:37 PM Additional Information
    • Proposed as answer by FASBeavers Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:35 PM
  • The correct command to apply the MSiSCSI dependency on LanManServer for 2008 and 2008 R2 is:

I've used this with about 80+ 2008 and 2008 R2 Virtual Machines with iSCSI attached volumes on Dell EqualLogic SANS.

Thank you very much to all!!! It is really help!!!!!

But why in article KB8700964 there is no information, that your server can be damage or that settings disable other settings.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:31 AM

Thank you very much to all!!! It is really help!!!!!

But why in article KB8700964 there is no information, that your server can be damage or that settings disable other settings.

Hi 

does this add new dependencies to a service or is it replacing all? Can't find service srv on my w2k8 R2

Friday, January 6, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Youhouuuuuu! I love you all!!!!! thanks soooo much, after hours of looking for a solution I was almost ready to ready to reinstall my server; fortunatly I found your post! thank you again and really bad point for the KB8700964 really unprecise.

to answer to the previous question

"does this add new dependencies to a service or is it replacing all? Can't find service srv on my w2k8 R2"

it replace the dependencies...

Now I will ALWAYS save my registry before any change of this type...

see you

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:36 AM