SharePoint 2013 January 2016 Cumulative Update vs MS16-004 Security update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Our patching team recently installed security update MS-16-004 for SharePoint Foundation 2013 on a couple of our SharePoint farms. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114503

I checked SharePoint Central Administration and the configuration database version shows 15.0.4787.1000.

When I look up this version number on the Internet, for example https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114497 or http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Regressions/sp2013Jan2016cu.aspx, it is described as the January 2016 Cumulative Update for SharePoint 2013. However, we have not installed the CU, just the security update MS-16-004.

I understand the security update is included in the CU. However, this is confusing because I don't know how to confirm if a SharePoint 2013 farm has been updated with the January 2016 CU, or just the security patch.

What is the best way to tell the difference? We need to be able to tell if a farm already has the January CU installed for future patching schedules.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Kevin Worthington

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:29 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't say it is "better" to install a CU over a security hotfix. While security hotfixes do include non-security updates from previous CUs, CUs can introduce additional issues.

That said, MS16-004 has a major issue for which you need to apply another patch or the Jan CU. The best way to tell the version number is to use Central Admin -> Upgrade and Migration -> Patch status. This lists all of the patches for each server and each component.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should check either Windows Updates screen in Control Panel or try to find by finding version 4787.  but it is better to install the complete CU for all SharePoint server components to have consistent version number. I installed the patch on a test farm and then upgraded to latest CU without any issue.

Jerry Yasir - Office Server & Services MVP/MCT Hewlett Packard Enterprise - If this reply helped you resolve your issue, please propose as answer. It may help other community members. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:45 PM
  • I wouldn't say it is "better" to install a CU over a security hotfix. While security hotfixes do include non-security updates from previous CUs, CUs can introduce additional issues.

That said, MS16-004 has a major issue for which you need to apply another patch or the Jan CU. The best way to tell the version number is to use Central Admin -> Upgrade and Migration -> Patch status. This lists all of the patches for each server and each component.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Thank you all for your help!

Kind regards,
    Kevin Worthington
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:39 PM