none
DPM migration issues RRS feed

• Question

• I just posted this on the DPM newsgroup and saw Praveen's message advising to post here, so here it is:

OK, I have spent several days working on this. We are preparing to migrate to DPM 2010. This is what I understand:

We have Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 installed with DPM 2007. DPM 2010 is x64 only so the migration path is:

Migrate to DPM 2007 x64 and then upgrade DPM 2007 x64 to DPM 2010 - correct?

We prepared a test environment with Win 2003 R2 x86 + DPM 2007 and another server as Win 2008 R2 x64.

We managed to carry out all steps in test environment but had a problem when running the DPM management console GUI. This was crashing due to different SQL collations (we were not paying attention and the Win 2003 R2 server was set as U.S locale while 2008 R2 was U.K locale). So apart from that we believe the migration in the test environment was more-or-less successful.

Now in our production environment all locales are correct (U.K) and we checked that the collations are correct. Our problem is that dpmsync -sync is failing in our production environment after restoring the DPM database using dpmsync -dbrestore (successfully). Logs show errors as follows:

Attempting to write error to the event log DataSourceInfo: bad column count in result set:Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.DBCorruptionException:

DataSourceInfo: bad column count in result set

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.Catalog.IntegrityCheck(Boolean condition, String message)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.DataSourceInfo.GetDataSourceInfo(SqlContext ctx, Guid datasourceIdLocal)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.Replica.Replica.GetAllLogicalReplicaOnPhysicalReplica(DbContext ctx, Guid physicalReplicaId, Boolean readOnlyActiveReplica)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.PrmCatalog.GetAllLogicalReplicaOnPhysicalReplica(Guid physicalReplicaId, Boolean readOnlyActiveReplica)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.PrmCatalog.RaiseReplicaStatusAlertsOnReplicaRefresh(Guid physicalReplicaIdPassed)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.AlertsHelper.RaiseReplicaStatusAlertsOnReplicaRefresh(Guid physicalReplicaIdPassed)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.PrmCatalog.RefreshReplica(Guid replicaIdPassed, Boolean onStartup)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Rhl.ReplicaAreaSetManagerHelper.InternalRefresh(Boolean onStartup)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Rhl.ReplicaAreaSetManagerHelper.Refresh()

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IT.IntentTranslator.IntentRestart()

A different error appears on the command line after dpmsync fails (note that the DPM service crashes every time this is attempted due to these errors):

C:\Users\administrator>dpmsync -sync

DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool

Copyright (c) 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Unhandled Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

(0x800706BE): The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at

icrosoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CProxyUtils.HandleErrors(Int32 hr, tagSAFEARRAY* exceptionResult)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.RestoreDbSyncServicesProxy.RestoreDbSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean* isExternalVolumeMissing)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CoreServicesProxy.RestoreDbSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.SyncFunction(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)

at

Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.Main(String[] args)

Can anyone decipher these messages? DPM and SQL versions and service packs are the same.

DPM is at 2.0.8864.0 on both machines.

SQL is at build 9.00.4053.00 on both machines (SQL 2005 with SP3 and last hotfix).

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:53 AM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since KB970867 the hotfixes are cumulative i.e no need to install the earlier 3 post SP1 QFEs if this KB is installed. But the latest QFE you might've installed might be higher than KB970867 which might've caused the issue.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the OS configuration (with Locale/Mui installed) on DPM server and is the SQL installed by DPM 2007 or installed manually.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. We don't use multi-language installations in our environment. The locale is UK (english - UK) for all our systems in our production environment.

SQL is installed as part of the DPM installation.

Thanks.

R

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Could you paste the output of  the following query by connecting to MS$DPM2007$ instance using SQL management studio:

select

* from tbl_dpm_installedupdates;

What's the version of DPM you're running.

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I have compared on both installations. The results of the query are identical on both installations:

KB959605
    KB963102
    KB968579
    KB970867

Have you any further thoughts?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:16 PM

• Ok, but all the above updates i.e

KB959605
    KB963102
    KB968579
    KB970867

are installed after migrating to new server.

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for your last update Praveen. I have now managed to complete my migration (DPM 2007 x86 on Win 2003 x86 to DPM 2007 x64 on Win 2008 R2 x64).

It would seem I have been misled by the way DPM hotfixes should be applied. I was under the impression that all DPM hotfixes were "rollups" (cumulative). So when I was carrying out the migration I installed DPM 2007, DPM 2007 SP1 and only the lastest hotfix. From your last suggestion I felt that, perhaps, we are meant to install each hotfix (after SP1) individually. I attempted to install some hotfixes but still had some problems. I assumed this may have been due to the order of installing the hotfixes being a problem. However, I had found one article where someone also had some strange behaviour when synchronising the restored database as part of the DPM migration process. They claimed to have uninstalled DPM and reinstalled it and then follow the restore and resync of the database and that it worked. This is what I did (and installed all hotfixes after DPM 2007 SP1 - in the correct order) and everything went more smoothly. The other thing I did slightly differently at the second attempt was to have the storage disks disconnected (disabled) when restoring the DPM database. I was then later able to reconnect (re-enable) the disks and then run dpmsync -reallocatereplica.

So thanks for the suggestion on the hotfixes - but could you clarify to us all whether it is actually required to install all these hotfixes or whether these are actually cumulative installations (where only the most recent is required)?

Regards,

R

Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Since KB970867 the hotfixes are cumulative i.e no need to install the earlier 3 post SP1 QFEs if this KB is installed. But the latest QFE you might've installed might be higher than KB970867 which might've caused the issue.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hello,

Your first post mentions that both your DPM installations were 2.0.8864.0. You mentioned later that when you built the new server, you installed SP1 and then the latest rollup 0- that is 979970. However, the list of hotfixes from the table lists 970867 as the highest = 2.0.8844.0. So you did have a mismatch when you migrated the first time.

Please let me know if you still have questions.

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:25 PM