none
Protecting VM on a CSV Cluster - Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running DPM 2012 SP1 (4.1.3419.0)  - Just upgraded our SCVMM to 2012 R2 (3.2.7510.0)

I have a vm, that failed to create a recovery point "The job encountered an internal fatal error.  (ID 902) 1/29/14 @ 8:30PM

At 10:01am completed a consistency check.

I ran another consistency check at 3:27 today and error

The backup job was not completed successfully because DPM detected that the virtual machine has migrated from the configured server to a new server. DPM will update its virtual machine configuration and then automatically trigger a new backup job.

Virtual machine name: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\XXXXXX

Configured server: SCVMM XXXXXXXXX Resources.XXXXXXX.XXXXXX.

New server:XXXXXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXXX. (ID 33403)

But now the vm instead of being under the cluster name, has changed to the cluster node name. but what happens when the vm fails over to another node in the cluster.  I've noticed this happening on my 6 dpm servers that backup one hyper-v 8 node cluster. This is causing the other jobs to fail and not run according to their schedule.

Example

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

THX

ANNCEX

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:39 PM

Answers

• 6 dpm servers backing up an 8 node hyper-v CSV cluster, that uses the SC virtual Machine manager HELPer in DPM. 

I have found the answer to my own problem.  VM's were removed from the cluster and instead of getting an error stating "SCVMM virtual machine is not found" i got the error above.

ANNCEX

• Marked as answer by Anncex Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:13 PM

All replies

• If i get it right, you have 6 DPM node to backup 8 Hyper-V node? 1 agent on each node reporting to a different DPM server?

How would the DPMs be able to track a VM if it changes node and that this node is managed by a different DPM server?

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:50 PM
  • 6 dpm servers backing up an 8 node hyper-v CSV cluster, that uses the SC virtual Machine manager HELPer in DPM. 

I have found the answer to my own problem.  VM's were removed from the cluster and instead of getting an error stating "SCVMM virtual machine is not found" i got the error above.

ANNCEX

• Marked as answer by Anncex Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:13 PM