none
Possible to "freeze" certain query? RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a tool that imports data from a datasource (csv in this case, but does not matter) and then allows the user to work with the data in lots of ways. The user will need to run queries again at various stages to refresh certain queries with information he input into tables.

However, I do not want the csv to be reimported by PQ at that later stage, because the contents of the csv change over time. I have tried to prevent the csv from being reimported by unticking the"Refresh this Connection on Refresh-All" option in Data - Connections, but as other queries reference the import query, it will still also refresh and import the newest csv. Am I missing something or is there no way to kind of only do the initial import once (e.g. via VBA) and not have it import again on later refreshes?

The only two work arounds I see are saving the actual data in the workbook, but because it is a huge file, it kind of defeats the purpose of loading it only into Power Query and keeping the filesize small. The only other solution seems that there always needs to be a static version of the csv that is not allowed to change, which is also not very convenient.

Am I missing some better way to deal with this?

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:40 PM

Answers

• You could use PQ to load the data into Power Pivot and then do your analysis there, against the in-memory data model.

Ehren

Monday, June 29, 2015 6:43 PM
    Owner

All replies

• The solutions you provided are the only ones I can think of as there is no "freeze" feature. You would have to do this manually somehow by loading the data into the sheet, the data model or copying it to an external file.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:11 PM
  • You could use PQ to load the data into Power Pivot and then do your analysis there, against the in-memory data model.

Ehren

Monday, June 29, 2015 6:43 PM
    Owner