none
Event 1863 appears everyday

Question

• Hello

I did a migration from a 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 by demoting the old DC, switching IP between both, promoting the new server to DC.

It worked fine, and everything still seems to be OK, but every day I get the error message 1863 for the three directory partition.

DCDIAG pass every test and repadmin /showvector /latency shows that replication with others DC occured a few mins ago at max...

Any idea ?

Message says this :

This is the replication status for the following directory partition on this directory server. 

Directory partition:
    CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com

This directory server has not received replication information from a number of directory servers within the configured latency interval. 

Latency Interval (Hours): 
    Number of directory servers in all sites:
    Number of directory servers in this site:

The latency interval can be modified with the following registry key. 

Registry Key: 
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Replicator latency error interval (hours) 

To identify the directory servers by name, use the dcdiag.exe tool. 
    You can also use the support tool repadmin.exe to display the replication latencies of the directory servers.   The command is "repadmin /showvector /latency <partition-dn>".

• Edited by karsayor Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:58 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi there, in your post you state that you 'demoted the old DC, switched IP's then promoted a new DC'... When you demote the old DC, it would have had to transfer its roles to another DC on your network. Is there another DC in the forest or is this the only one?

Find out which server the FSMO roles were transferred to and that is now your PDC. Run an authorative restore on the PDC and a non-authorative restore on the rest of the DC to get replication going again. Please back up AD prior..

https://www.ultrabac.com/kb/active_directory_restore_2008.htm

Can you better explain the steps/process you took for the demotion/promotion and migration to 2012?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Yes, there a 3 others DCs, two in same site and 1 offsite. The FSMO is the server on the one I get these errors. I moved the roles back on it after sucessful promotion.

What I did is basically :

1. Move FSMO roles to other DC
    2. dcpomo to demote old server and restart
    3. uninstall DNS from old server and restart
    4. clean DNS zone from old server
    5. remove the IP of old DC and unplug from network
    6. plug the new server and set the IP of old server
    7. dcpromo / dns server install
    8. create a cname dns record of old server pointing to the new DC, in case some services used the server name

The strange thing is, except these error, nothing else is wrong in the events logs and on every server dcdiag is fully OK.
    • Edited by karsayor Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:25 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Hi,
    What I suggest is to remove the old domain controller by cleaning up its metadata and then see if the error is gone, the details are listed in:
    Clean Up Server Metadata
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 23, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot do this since the server was already deleted from Active Directory when I did the dcpromo.

There must be somewhere traces remaining from the old DC, but I can't figure where.

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

I know that you have deleted the old DC from domain by demoting, however, cleaning metadata is required procedure to remove it completely and help to avoid some similar problems caused by the data which may be hiding somewhere. Just a suggestion to have a try.

And you could try to perform a full search and see if anything is returned.

Searching in Active Directory Domain Services

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa746427(v=vs.85).aspx

Searching Active Directory with Windows PowerShell

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730967.aspx

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:13 AM