Question regarding App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I've got a question regarding App-V.

We are currently trying to deliver applications to our users anywhere they are located (home, office, at a client) and i was wondering if that is possible with App-V in the cloud without any extra installations. (Can you deliver applications over VPN with App-V).

So no Xenapp, no Azure RemoteApp, no RDS. Only App-V.

Also is AD intergration working properly?

How are graphical programs (autocad, solidworks, photoshop) functioning on App-V?

Thank you.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:36 AM

All replies

• If you don't use things like XenApp or RemoteApp then you would need to install the App-V Client on every device (home) where you want to install Packages. Are those Clients that you're talking about Domain joined?

What exactly do you mean with "is AD Integration working properly"?

Graphical programs should work, however this is depending on the actual Program. You should find some Sequencing Guides for the most common programs online.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:50 AM
  • If you don't use things like XenApp or RemoteApp then you would need to install the App-V Client on every device (home) where you want to install Packages. Are those Clients that you're talking about Domain joined?

What exactly do you mean with "is AD Integration working properly"?

Graphical programs should work, however this is depending on the actual Program. You should find some Sequencing Guides for the most common programs online.

Hello Simon, thank you for your information.

I'm aware about xenapp and RemoteApp, but we'd like to see some alternative solutions. We basically want to allow users to use (for example) their own device whereever they are: Office, Home, at a customer without having their applications locally installed. We'd like to manage the applications from 1 platform and use the active directory credentials to use this solution (if possible)

Would it be possible to get the App-V server located in the cloud?

How will the users connect (for example from home) to the app-v server?

Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Honestly, I wouldn't go for that Approach. There is so much that can go wrong with an App-V Client on a non corporated device.

For example, how do you handle a User that is uninstalling the App-V Client, Upgrading the OS to a unsupported Version for the App-V Client, etc.

I would prefer the RemoteApp / XenApp Approach, but that is just my opinion.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:33 AM
  • I would imagine that you would run into issues with the users personal devices not being on the same domain as well (or at least a sub-domain)
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:38 PM
  • Hello Simon,

Thank you for your reply again. We would like to see why exactly why app-v doesn't work alone properly (sources of literature, features etc). We would like some alternatives and know exactly why the alternative isn't a solution. Is the client the only issue?

Friday, November 4, 2016 8:30 AM