none
Error when adding VHD to storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am adding a VHD to the DPM storage pool.

I get the following error when  DPM wants to convert the basic disk to a dynamic disk.

Any ideas?

DPM is installed on a Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V.

/Henrik

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When DPM is running in a VM, we do not support VHD's for storage pool disks - you need to use pass thru disks or iscsi to physical storage.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:56 AM
  • But I got success when created New SCSI VHD for the VM. It works fine as storage pool disk.
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Hi Ayan,

Just for clarification. You run DPM in a VM and has created a new VHD with the intention of using it for the DPM diskpool? Yes/No?

Please have a look at your cluster, from the error it seems that you are running DPM within a Hyper-V cluster using CVS 1.0.

Please also look in the VMM (in that is installed) if you have put a node member in maintenence mode.

Please post information regarding your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, June 4, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I created a VM in Hyper-V with Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 installed in that VM. Installed DPM 2010 in that VM. First I attached a new IDE VHD and tried to configure that disk as Storage Pool Disk. But was not successful. But when added a VHD as SCSI disk then I was easily able to create the storage pool on that VHD. Tried with little data and found no problems in backup and restoration.

Thanks,

Ayan

Monday, June 4, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi Ayan,

Are you using a fixed size disc or dynamic for the disk in your DPM diskpool?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:15 AM
  • I have created a Fixed Disk in SCSI Disk Controller. 

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hi Robert,

As the test is successful. Can you confirm if I should use this SCSI attached fixed VHD as Storage Pool Disk in DPM for Production Environment?

Thanks,

Ayan

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi Ayan,

When I implement DPM in a Hyper-V enviroment I always use fixed size disks. Did using fixed size disk solve your problem?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:31 PM
  • This page:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn440941.aspx

Says "Both VHD and VHDX files are supported in the DPM storage pool."

Of course that is for DPM 2012R2... I still can't get it to work though. Are you implying that a PHYSICAL installation of DPM could use a mounted VHD as it's storage pool? We REALLY need to get this working as our main backup storage only gives us a CIFS share :(

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, DPM 2012 R2 added support for using .VHD or .VHDX files for storage poo disks when running DPM in a virtual machine.  There really is no magic, they worked fine in all previous versions of DPM as well but it was never thoroughly tested until DPM 2012 R2.

So, I'm not understanding your problem - You have DPM running in a virtual machine on a Hyper-v host and have added one or more additional .VHD file to the VM.  In Windows disk management, you have initialized the disk(s) and now they show all unallocated free space.  When you try to add that disk to the DPM Storage pool, what happens ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Yes, I have DPM running in a VM on a Hyper-V host (cluster managed by SCVMM). I've created a VHD file on a file server (Windows 2008R2 Storage server) and mounted it. It shows up in diskmanagement as drive g: formatted with NTFS... when I try to add it to a storage pool DPM says it can't converted to a dynamic disk. I'd say exactly like the error pic in the original post here...

Does it need a W2012R2 server to "host" the vhd over CIFS/SMB3? (Is there a difference in between the server versions? And what exactly is the difference between CIFS/SMB2/SMB3?) Since you say it used to work previously my logical conclusion would be to say that it should work regardless of file server versions.

The Hyper-V hosts are all Window 2012R2 and the DPM guest OS is also Windows 2012R2. It's currently updating and installing UR6 for SysCtr 2012R2...

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Managed to figure this out... I need a SMB3 share connected to the HyperV HOST cluster, make a large VHD on that share and "attach" it as a drive to the VirtualMachine. The Guest OS/VM running DPM will then think it's a regular drive.

So, the "support" is only from the "outside" of the VM and not from the inside...

I was trying to "mount"/"attach" the .VHD "drive" WITHIN the Guest OS/VM.

So I'm out of luck since our Dedup storage only support CIFS 1.5 (and since it was updated in April I highly doubt they intend to support SMB3 :()

Friday, May 22, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Can you please let me know what do you mean by " SMB3 share connected to the HyperV HOST cluster".  Can you please elaborate that?  I am also facing the same issue here.   Does it work with only SMB3 shares or it work with SMB2 also? 
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:19 PM