Copying Roaming Profile - Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am following article kb\314478 on making a roaming profile in XP, I created the roaming profile (user1) on \\laptop now when I try to copy it over to \\desktop I get 'Directory \\desktop\user1 could not be deleted please delete the directory and retry'.

So I go to \\desktop and delete it, try and copy it again from \\laptop\user1 to \\desktop\user1 and I get 'failed to set security on the destination profile - the network name could not be found'.

I don't know what to do, it's like an endless loop, I cant NOT have the folder but if I do it says it can't delete it.

Both computers have the everyone share permissions added, I've tried using administrator, user1, and administrators too, The NTFS permissions I've basically tried all users\groups that apply.

if you want the long names they are:

C:\Documents and Settings\User1 (for \\laptop\)

C:\Documents and Settings\User1 (for \\desktop\)

When copying the share I've tried setting the 'permitted to use' as everyone, administrator, administrators, and user1. Both computers are on the same network in a WORKGROUP and using XP pro.

The first time I tried it worked fine but I forgot to enter the username in 'authorized to use' something so I had to delete and copy it again and that's what the problems started.

Any ideas? as this is rattling my brains.

*EDIT I found a way to get roaming profiles working without having to copy the profile however I will leave this discussion open incase other people have this problem.

• Edited by rocklore Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:10 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 8:32 PM