Adding Non-Domain User to existing SharePoint 2010 Site Collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm new to SP 2010. I would like to know - is it possible to add new user that is not belong to Domain (AD) nor Domain server? I would like to invite user, using email account like "Yahoo" or "gmail"? is it possible?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:14 PM Neither accessibility nor pre-SP 2010. But it is the twelth post today that should have gone to a SP 2010 forum (From:SharePoint - Accessibility (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• SharePoint 2010 can use Claims or Classic Mode Authentication.  Using Claims based authentication, one or more authentication providers can be used to access SharePoint.  By default providers are included for Windows Authentication (Ex: Active Directory) and Forms Based Authentication (SQL Server Membership Database).  However, additionaly providers exist and/or can be developed.  For example, a provider can be configured to all Windows Live users to access SharePoint 2010.  So for example, if you a running a Public Facing web site on SharePoint 2010 you could utilize the Windows Live Provider to authenticate Windows Live users.

It would be possible to:

a) Either invite users to come join your site and create an account on your site.  The account would be created in an FBA database.

b) Alternatively you vould develop a custom provider using Visual Studio to trust users from Windows Live, Facebook, etc.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Visual-guide-to-Windows-Live-ID-authentication-with-SharePoint-2010-part-1.aspx

Hope this helps.

Dennis Bottjer | Follow Me: @dbottjer | Blog: Dennis Bottjer.com
    • Marked as answer by DETON59 Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:51 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I dont understand what you are trying get with this but I dont think so you can do it, You will need to have the users somewhere in the 'system' - eithe in AD or local users or some other authentication system/user database,etc. Again depends on your SP2010 setup. SharePoint leverages on the users that are already present as mentioned. You cannot create a user directly in SharePoint.

check the available Authentication mode:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262350.aspx

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by DETON59 Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:26 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:52 PM

All replies

• I dont understand what you are trying get with this but I dont think so you can do it, You will need to have the users somewhere in the 'system' - eithe in AD or local users or some other authentication system/user database,etc. Again depends on your SP2010 setup. SharePoint leverages on the users that are already present as mentioned. You cannot create a user directly in SharePoint.

check the available Authentication mode:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262350.aspx

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by DETON59 Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:26 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:27 PM
  • SharePoint 2010 can use Claims or Classic Mode Authentication.  Using Claims based authentication, one or more authentication providers can be used to access SharePoint.  By default providers are included for Windows Authentication (Ex: Active Directory) and Forms Based Authentication (SQL Server Membership Database).  However, additionaly providers exist and/or can be developed.  For example, a provider can be configured to all Windows Live users to access SharePoint 2010.  So for example, if you a running a Public Facing web site on SharePoint 2010 you could utilize the Windows Live Provider to authenticate Windows Live users.

It would be possible to:

a) Either invite users to come join your site and create an account on your site.  The account would be created in an FBA database.

b) Alternatively you vould develop a custom provider using Visual Studio to trust users from Windows Live, Facebook, etc.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Visual-guide-to-Windows-Live-ID-authentication-with-SharePoint-2010-part-1.aspx

Hope this helps.

Dennis Bottjer | Follow Me: @dbottjer | Blog: Dennis Bottjer.com
    • Marked as answer by DETON59 Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:51 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Thanks, I will check it out
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:51 PM