Shared Contacts Are Not Listed As An Address Book RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

We are new BPOS customers coming from an on premise Exchange 2007 environment where we had control of everything.  We understand that moving to a hosted environment means we don't have all the flexibility we need to do things but this problem seems like such an obvious thing that I can't believe it's not possible.

It is a small office -- 11 users.  They used to have a public folder that held shared contacts and another one that had the company calendar.

We tried to reproduce this using Sharepoint Lists and then linking them to Outlook.  However, there is a major bug with this process.  We were able to port the contacts over to the list but as soon as another user would add the sharepoint list, the contacts would start duplicating.  There are numerous posts out there that confirm this is a bug.

As an alternative, we paid for a dummy user to share their contacts and calendar.  We thought were in the clear but we soon realized that all the other users could not add the shared contacts as an address book.  In the public folder days, one could make it a favorite and then add that address book to their list of address books.  The desired behavior is that a user can create a new email, click on the "to" button, and then choose which address book the contacts are in.

This does not appear possible as per a post in this forum (I don't have the URL handy).

There HAS to be a way to make this work.  It seems like such a basic necessity.  

This whole BPOS thing has been nothing but a hassle to get to where we are.  Tech support has about 1 out of 5 people who know what's going on.

If you've been able to do this, I'd really appreciate a pointer.  Tech support has been useless -- they ask for a diagnostic report every time.  I told them we have Outlook 2003/2007/2010 clients and all have the same problem. 

We really need basic public folder capability for this but maybe there is another way.

Thanks for the tips in advance.

-dave

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:43 AM

Answers