permission level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

could anyone please provide me how to give permissions for a list or library.step by step.once the creation of list is done.and as well as item level as well.

2)in ribbon as well as permission level  in detail.

Thanks,

vishnu

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Vishnu,

What steps to perform vary depending on what you're doing. However this comprehensive guide should cover what you want to know.

http://lightningtools.com/sharepoint_2010/sharepoint-2010-permissions-management-guide/

In particular the section titled "Assigning Permissions Levels" may be of interest.

• Proposed as answer by Pradip T Friday, April 12, 2013 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Friday, April 19, 2013 5:27 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for providing the doc.its really helped me.one more fever,need steps as well for the item level permission settings.

Thanks,

vishnu

• Edited by vishnu6666 Friday, April 12, 2013 2:20 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 2:10 PM
  • The steps to set permisisons on a document are fairly similar.

Click on the drop down by a document, select "Manage Permissions" and then you can perform the same steps and processes for that document alone.

Note: It's best to avoid using Item level permissions if you can, it gets to become a big maintenance headache very quickly.

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response,Ok i agree with your point It's best to avoid using Item level permissions if you can,may i know in which situation we can use these item level permission.if a situation arises.

Thanks,

vishnu

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Using them is fine but try to keep it to a minimum, where possible use groups instead of users and if there's a clear separation of roles and security then think about using separate lists or folders.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Hi Alex,

one last question,i am having say list(contacts list as example) and I inherited that list now it is having unique permissions.here am getting confusion (am going to have default groups)now here all the permissions are also inherited now i want to add some permissions to the inherited list.

what are all the steps to follow.do have any examples or links.if any queries in this question please let me know.

Thanks 

vishnu

• Edited by vishnu6666 Friday, April 12, 2013 7:38 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Hi Vishnu,

Please understand when you break permission of list from Parent, it by default copies permission as it is from parent, then SP gives you option so that you can either edit this permission level, add/remove groups/users from list permission which would be unique to this list only(contact list in your case). 

Let me know if you have any other queries.

If this helps Please mark it answer or Vote As Helpful.

Thanks
    Siddharth Vaghasia

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hi Vishnu,

Please understand when you break permission of list from Parent, it by default copies permission as it is from parent, then SP gives you option so that you can either edit this permission level, add/remove groups/users from list permission which would be unique to this list only(contact list in your case). 

Let me know if you have any other queries.

If this helps Please mark it answer or Vote As Helpful.

Thanks
    Siddharth Vaghasia

To make it clearer, Vishnu the second you use item level permissions you lose the ability to manage list level or site level permissions reliably. Makes it very easy to 'orphan' or lose data which is why it's something that is avoided.

My CodePlex - My Blog - My Twitter
    Join me at the San Francisco SharePoint User Group!

If this post helped you or answered your question please remember to mark it! :)

Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:06 PM