POP3 / IMAP Will not connect using Office 2007 if Linux Mail Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have extensively worked w/ my ISP to connect to my POP3 mailbox using Outlook 2007 to no avail. There is some issue w/ it connecting to a Linux based email server. The last ISP support emails went:

[ begin email paste]

Issue:

Help - Outlook 2007 doesn't send / receive emails.

Issue Number:

Date:

12/26/2006

Time:

06:52:36

Description:
    thrain78,

Looks like you are using vista. If this is true we are currently having issues with
    Vista and receiving mail. There seems to be a misconfiguration in Vista that doesn't
    allow mail to come in when the mail server is on a Linux server. We are working on this.

If your not using Vista please give us a call so that we can try a few things.

Date:

12/26/2006

Time:

13:09:39

Description:
    thrain78,

Unfortunately, no, there are no work a rounds for this as of yet.
    However, this doesn't hamper the use of 3rd party programs like Thunderbird, Eudora
    or (insert app here).
    I believe that there will be a mailing about this in the future. So, watch your inbox.

XXX.
    XXX Support

[end email paste]

And I have tested the facts.  When running Thunderbird, Eudora, or any other POP3 client, it seems to connect properly.  When using Outlook 2007 to POP3 or IMAP to any exchange server, it works fine.  when attempting to POP/IMAP to several unix/Linux based mail servers, the setup of the POP3 mailbox wizard's Test complete successfully, but it will never connect to download email.  the SMTP communication is working, as the test message is delivered (sent) to the internet (can check via webmail) but for some reason the client cannot download (receive) emails. 

We tried POP3 & IMAP.  we tried w/ POP & IMAP protocols w/ SSL and w/out. Same results.

I am running Vista Business MVL, Office 2007 MVL, RTM on both.

Anyone seen this issue or have any suggestions?  it seems very specifically focused.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 4, 2007 4:57 AM

All replies

• Is there anything new on this post?????
    Monday, January 29, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Any response on this? I find it really interesting and was wondering if you've made any progress?
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:00 AM