none
DHCP Option Private Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm supposed to activate option 239 ( for private usage) for one of our application. I've created it in Scope Options->configure options  as string. I did some test via client but noticed that these parameters are not pushed to the clients. I did some digging on the internet but no response so far. i'll be glad for your help. ( Windows server 2012 r2 )

Best Regards,

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi MelihK,

1. Not all DHCP options can be picked up by clients, for example, if we configure DHCP option 006(DNS server) on the DHCP server, while the client has already configured a static DNS on the NIC properties, then when client receive the "Offer" packet from DHCP server, and the "Offer" packet includes option 006, the clients will drop option 006 in the "Offer" packet and only pick up the settings it needs;

2. So, we may use network monitor to capture the DHCP packets, check if the "Offer" packet includes option "239", if yes, it means there's no issue with the DHCP server, it is the client that drop the option.

3. As far why clients drop the option, it may related with the application, please ensure the application supports to pick up option in the DHCP server.

Network Monitor download link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

We may install network monitor on the client and start capture, then run "ipconfig /release" & "ipconfig /renew" in cmd, after getting a new IP address, stop capture, then in the filter DHCP packet, and check the detailed information in the DHCP offer packet.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Hi MelihK,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have any other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Melihk_ Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:41 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Hi MelihK,

Welcome to feedback if there's anything unclear.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, December 11, 2017 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply. 

Best Regards,

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Hi Melihk,

Please help to mark the useful information as answer, so that others meet the similar case can find solution quickly. If you have any other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:01 AM