locked
What is the syntax for the stsadm -o deletecontentdb operation? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to upgrade a moss sp 2007 service pack 1 server to service pack 3.

    The upgrade failed. I got a strange error indicating that

    [SPWebTemplateSequence] [DEBUG] [6/14/2012 9:34:23 AM]: Template SPSSITES#0: Exception thrown while applying the global template to the web with URL "(unknown)" (Id: '73eeed68-4926-448a-bd3c-5d8d9ee85572') from site with URL "http://myqa" (Id: 'f14ac1be-f072-47b6-9250-931249c47efc'). Adding web to the exceptions list. Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetWebUrl(Guid gWebId, String bstrSiteUrl)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebUrl(Guid gWebId, String bstrSiteUrl)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.OpenWeb(Guid gWebId, Int32 mondoHint)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.OpenWeb(Guid gWebId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPWebTemplateSequence.ApplyGlobalTemplateToWebs(List`1 lstwebinfoToUpgrade, List`1& lstwebinfoExceptions)

    When I encountered a failure in upgrading the previous farm, some of the errors were similar, so I was going to detach and re-attach the content databases to see if this resolved an issue.

    1. Does all the SharePoint services need to be running to perform the deletecontentdb operation? Because I shut the services down so I could upgrade...

    2. What I am trying to perform is this:

    D:\temp>stsadm -o deletecontentdb -url http://myqa -databasename SharePoint_WWW_Content -databaseserver "SQLDS0001\Q001"

    Command line error.


    Usage:
               stsadm.exe -o <operation> [<parameters>]
               stsadm.exe -help [<operation>]

    Operations:

    and then a list of the stsadm operations.

    I don't know what the problem is - it looks like the arguments listed for the operation.

    Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:20 PM

Answers

  • Well, when I quit web searching for this specific command and started looking for the general problem, I ran into a blog that mentioned having a problem with encoding could cause the command line error message. So instead of copying and pasting from a word document into a cmd window, I hand typed the stsadm full command - and it worked!

    No need to supply other answers.

    • Proposed as answer by lvirden Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jack-GaoModerator Friday, June 22, 2012 7:35 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:47 PM