My laptop works fine in safe mode but unresponsive after a few minutes when started normally - any ideas? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Unresponsive laptop with no error messages

I've been having issues with my laptop becoming unresponsive after a few minutes of use. By unresponsive I mean I can click in between tabs on whatever web browser I'm using and move the cursor around but whatever processes I'm running like loading a webpage or running a virus scan stop and I can't open anything from the start menu or task bar. I can click on them but nothing happens - the cursor keeps its loading circle and eventually I give up after 20 minutes or so and restart (alt+cntrl+delete to bring up task manager doesn't work along with any other key commands).

The laptop is an XPS 17 bought from Dell last September and has only recently become unresponsive. I can't think of a specific incident that caused it and I haven't received an error messages or a Blue screen of death etc. The only thing that seems different to previous is that loading from the password screen seems slower than before (booting seems the same however).

Works in safe mode fine however

If I boot the latop in safe mode or safe mode with networking it works fine. I can use it for as long as I want without any problems.

Remedies I have tried

• Uninstalling all anti-virus software (as a Dell it came with McAfee which I discontinued and installed AVG).
    • Reinstalling a single anti-virus and running a full scan in safe mode (tried both AVG and Avast separately, no viruses found).
    • Checking all hardware drivers were up to date (none needed updating).
    • Using Malwarebytes Anti-malware to scan in safemode (no malware found).
    • Using CCleaner to clean registry for errors (registry cleaned).
    • Using Kapersky's TDSSKiller to search for malware (none found).
    • Uninstalling all non essential programmes and removing all non-essential files (ie itunes, Lightroom, deleting all movies and music etc).

I am considering reinstalling windows

However, I can't find my disks (not sure if Dell gave them to me?) and I'm keen to know if this is necessary at this stage ie has anyone got any thoughts on what else I could try/what my options are?

System specs

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

<sup></sup>2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM processor (2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz)

<sup></sup>8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4GB)

<sup></sup>1.5TB 7200RPM Hard Drive(750GB X2)

<sup></sup>1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M With Optimus

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you can try the following steps to test the issue:

1. Perform a  system restore

2. Test the issue in Clean Boot mode.

3. If the issue persist in clean boot mode, please update your BIOS and chipset for a test.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

• If it runs ok in safe mode then I'd think it would be a driver issue. I believe you can set your computer back to the way it came out of the box by restoring the factory image. Here is a link to how to do that. It's a pdf file. Look on pages 68 & 69. If your computer is under a year old it should be covered under warranty also. Dell wouldn't of given you disks. They have a program on the computer for you to make the disks which they tell you to do within the 1st week of owning the computer. 

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL511z/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you can try the following steps to test the issue:

1. Perform a  system restore

2. Test the issue in Clean Boot mode.

3. If the issue persist in clean boot mode, please update your BIOS and chipset for a test.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:29 AM