none
UNABLE TO DELETE ANY PDF FILES WHEN PREVIEW MODE ON RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I an running Win 10 Home and would like to once and for all get rid of this problem. When in File Explorer, and preview mode on, if I left click or right click on PDF FILE AND CHOOSE DELETE, I GET AN ERROR. If I turn off PREVIEW MODE AND WAIT A FEW MINUTES AND REPEAT THE SAME PROCEDURE, IT WORKS.

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi cammarie51762,

"if I left click or right click on PDF FILE AND CHOOSE DELETE, I GET AN ERROR."
    What is the exact error message? Please let us know.
    Does this issue only affect PDF files?
    How did turn on preview mode? A screenshot will be very useful to understand this issue.

Based on your situation, we could open Task Manager then restart Windows explorer process to have a test.
    Also, please repeat the same produce in clean boot environment to have a check, if the issue is gone in clean boot environment, then it should be caused by some third party application or service, we could enable them one by one to find the culprit.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:18 AM
  • here are the screen shots.

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:41 PM
  • Hi cammarie51762,

It seems that you have installed a application to open PDF files, such as Adobe reader.

I have tested it on my side, it turns out same with you. It is reported that it is reported the file is open in another program.

Then I open Task Manager, I found Adobe Reader process is invoked when the preview mode is on. When I manually end these process, the preview mode is off.
    So, I prefer to think when the preview mode is on, Adobe Reader process is invoked to preview this PDf file, PDF file is opened by these Adobe Reader process, so we cannot delete it.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:06 AM