none
Trouble Creating Security Groups RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm learning how to use System Center 2012. I have installed a domain controller as required (this is a test machine). The instructions at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx say that I must create a security group like this:

DPMDBReaders$<Computer Name>

What is this supposed to look like when I type it in?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:33 AM

Answers

• Ah ok didn't get it.

If the server where you install DPM is named "DPMServer" then the account look like "DPMDBReader$DPMServer".

These steps are only necessary when installing directly on the DC. If you install DPM on another box these accounts get created automatically as local accounts.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

do you plan to install DPM on the Domain Controller?

Be aware that if you do so, you won't be able to protect anything else than the DC itself.

All these accounts required are used by DPM. For exemple, DPMDBReader$<ComputerName> will be used by DPM to connect to the database to read data (reporting purpose)

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:10 AM
  • Here's what I'm trying to say:

What is DPMDBReader$<ComputerName> supposed to look like when you type it in to make a security group?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Ah ok didn't get it.

If the server where you install DPM is named "DPMServer" then the account look like "DPMDBReader$DPMServer".

These steps are only necessary when installing directly on the DC. If you install DPM on another box these accounts get created automatically as local accounts.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:52 AM