none
PTR record error: The node cannot be created. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to add a PTR record of IPv6 ( 2400:fc00:854a:aaaa::197 ) in Windows Reverse DNS zone : (0.0.c.f.0.0.4.2.ip6.arpa).

But i am getting same error on GUI & dnscmd :  The node cannot be created

I want to add it without creating AAAA record in forward zone. 

Please guide .

Regards,

• Edited by Heeena Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:01 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:59 PM

Answers

• Ok finally the issue is solved. I disabled the Advanced tab from View and it start showing normal window.

And now all PTR record are creating without making AAAA record or forward zone.

Thanks John Lii for your help.

• Marked as answer by Heeena Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:52 AM

All replies

• Wow! It's Googl'able:

http://superuser.com/questions/808111/ptr-record-and-a-record-should-match-what-if-there-is-no-a-record

Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Hi Heeena,

>> I want to add it without creating AAAA record in forward zone.

As far as I know, ptr record could be created without AAAA record.

Is DNS server integrated with AD?

Please check if there is related information exist, if yes, you could post it for further troubleshooting.

Or please try to run dcdiag /test:dns to check if DNS function properly.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:12 AM
  • DNS is not integrated with AD.

I created a forward zone xxx.edu.uk and then created AAAA records .. then PTR records were automatically created in Reverse DNS zone : (0.0.c.f.0.0.4.2.ip6.arpa). And they are successfully resolvable from internet.

But i wanted to create these PTR records without creating forward zone xxx.edu.uk and AAAA records.

Is it not possible for IPV6 reocrds,  i remember we can do this for IPv4 records.

Regards,

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi Heeena,

I have tested it, and PTR is created without AAAA record and forward zone.

Please check if there is related information for further troubleshooting.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Hi John,

May be my Reverse DNS zone : (0.0.c.f.0.0.4.2.ip6.arpa) does not cover this IP: 2400:fc00:854a:aaaa::167

When we create PTR record, do we always have to put last octect or we can enter complete range as well?

Can you try by creating Reverse DNS zone : (0.0.c.f.0.0.4.2.ip6.arpa) and by entering PTR record IP: 2400:fc00:854a:aaaa::167 ?

Regards,

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:03 AM
  • Hi Heeena,

Please reference picture below to understand it:

Best Regards

John

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Hi John,

I tried to enter the PTR record again. The issue is when i enter the host IP address the FQDN is not changed in reverse order. Just like in your image.

If i press OK to enter:

Update: This DNS is not integrated with AD.  So for testing purpose i created a same ipv6 reverse zone in other DNS (which is integrated with AD). Now when i try to enter new PTR record so the PTR window already contains host IP address 2400:fc00:  , and when i enter rest of the ipv6 address the FQDN is automatically changed to correct reverse order. and the record is successfully enters.

So i think it is something related to AD integration ?

• Edited by Heeena Friday, March 3, 2017 4:39 AM Update "test on other AD DNS"
    Friday, March 3, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Hi Heeena,

>>So i think it is something related to AD integration ?

No, I tested it on DNS server without AD.

Have you tried to create PTR records for exist A records? How about result?

Please try to enter fully host IP address and check again.

Best Regards

John

Monday, March 6, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Hi John ,

I have noticed that in test DNS, When i create new PTR record , it shows below window with starting range of IPV6(2400:fc00:) and FQDN automatically changes in reverse order when i enter rest of the ipv6.

Where as in my case , when i create new PTR record , it does not show starting range of IPV6(2400:fc00:) and FQDN does not automatically changes in reverse order when i enter rest of the ipv6.

Example:

FQDN does not change in reverse order :

Dont Know , why it is behaving like this , where as other test DNS servers are working fine !  :-/

Monday, March 6, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Hi Heeena,

Please right-click DNS server, and click properties, and select Debug Logging, you could try to troubleshoot it through Debug Logging.

>>it does not show starting range of IPV6(2400:fc00:) and FQDN does not automatically changes in reverse order when i enter rest of the ipv6.

On my lab, The ipv6 prefix could not be deleted, when I enter 2400:fc00:20::1 in host IP address, it show error "The name is invalid".

Or you could re-create IPv6 reverse zone.

Best Regards

John

• Edited by John Lii Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Ok finally the issue is solved. I disabled the Advanced tab from View and it start showing normal window.

And now all PTR record are creating without making AAAA record or forward zone.

Thanks John Lii for your help.

• Marked as answer by Heeena Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Hi Heeena,

Thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards

John

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:01 AM