Net framework 3.5 Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Notably, the idea of installing net framework 3.5 has been addressed on many different occasions. I cannot find my answer, so I am forced to ask.

Recently I was able to get a copy of Windows 8, and learned of a way to place my program files, program files (x86), and user folders on a separate hard drive, to allow a SSD to hold Windows and another, larger hard drive to hold my software, mainly games. However, some programs I have run across require net framework 3.5 and below, and for some reason, the system tells me that it cannot install the software, giving me an error code of 0x80070011. I have searched for information to solve this problem, with no luck. Also, when I try to use dism.exe from an administrator level cmd.exe, I receive the error 17. 

Thank you for your time.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:10 AM

Answers

• That, I don't know.
    It's possible that the guidance you've followed has put you in an unsupportable state....

Something that I would consider, is rebuilding the OS, and just redirect \Users (but maybe use a supported method, advocated by MS), and, when installing software, if the software gives you a choice of installation location, choose your alternate drive as the installation target.

That way, you're staying in MS and application supported-territory.
    Although the use of junctions, reparse points and hardlinks is offered by the platform, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's supported to use them in all cases/places, especially when non-MS software is involved (the 3rd party software may never have been tested in such a scenario by that 3rd party)

In essence, just because you *can*, doesn't mean you *should* ;)
    I find that experience is a harsh (but great) teacher.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:52 PM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:05 AM

All replies

• Oh, and I'm not certain if this is in the right forum. Feel free to tell me otherwise.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 7:10 AM
  • a few suggestions for enabling .NET FW 3.5 on Win8:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-AU/library/hh506443.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/05/14/windows-8-and-net-framework-3-5.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/11/30/how-to-troubleshoot-error-0x800f081f-when-installing-roles-and-features.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Sadly, I have tried all of those sources and solutions, except for the solution mentioning computer configuration\administrative... and so on. Do you know how one would get to that? I was not able to pick up any information about arriving at that window.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Sadly, I have tried all of those sources and solutions, except for the solution mentioning computer configuration\administrative... and so on. Do you know how one would get to that? I was not able to pick up any information about arriving at that window.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825020.aspx#BKMK_SetGPO

Don

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:01 PM
  • I suspect that your DISM Error 17 may be this one

ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE
    17 (0x11)

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

So it's possible that your issue with .NET Framework could be due to your relocation of some files ?

Don

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, February 22, 2013 9:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tatselven Friday, February 22, 2013 10:57 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Yes, I also believe so. I mentioned earlier that I had learned (most of the way) to junction the program files, program files (x86) and the user files to another hard drive. I used vi3.game.hkr's blog as a center point. He posted a couple links and some advice on moving the three files to another hard disk. This is the blog http://blogs.windward.net/marcusj/2012/08/15/move-program-files-to-another-drive-in-windows-7-and-8/. 
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:16 PM
  • How would I get framework to work with this configuration, good sir?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 10:31 PM
  • That, I don't know.
    It's possible that the guidance you've followed has put you in an unsupportable state....

Something that I would consider, is rebuilding the OS, and just redirect \Users (but maybe use a supported method, advocated by MS), and, when installing software, if the software gives you a choice of installation location, choose your alternate drive as the installation target.

That way, you're staying in MS and application supported-territory.
    Although the use of junctions, reparse points and hardlinks is offered by the platform, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's supported to use them in all cases/places, especially when non-MS software is involved (the 3rd party software may never have been tested in such a scenario by that 3rd party)

In essence, just because you *can*, doesn't mean you *should* ;)
    I find that experience is a harsh (but great) teacher.

Don

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:52 PM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:05 AM