none
Duration Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Start at 4/11/2017 to  Finish at 3/12/2017 that Duration shows 25.75 days How to set that duration at 30 days?

if I set Duration as 30 days the finish date change automatically at 8/12/2017 but i required finish date is 3/12/2017 and 30 days.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is likely that your tasks do not start or finish at 08:00 or 17:00 respectively (this is the default, though your calendar might be set differently).  The easiest thing to do is to change the date format to display HH:MM.  

This will now show the times in the Gantt Chart.  

In terms of duration, it is calculated based on the calendar, and you might get different calculations based upon whether the task is manually scheduled or auto scheduled, and which calendar you are using.

4/11/2017 is a Saturday, and in the default calendar non working, so autoscheduled tasks cannot start on this day unless you use a calendar where the day is a working day, or a manually scheduled task.  When I enter a manually scheduled task to start on the 4/11, and then enter a duration of 30 days, the task is calculated to finish on the 14/12, which is 29 working days later.  

Also, when you enter 30days in the duration, MSProject takes the value of a day as the number of "hours per day" as defined in the schedule options, by default this is 8, so 30 days = 30*8 = 240 hours.  It then uses the calendar to work out when the task can finish.  

The best thing to do is review the settings I've mentioned and enter your own values so that you get a better understanding.  Here's a screen shot of some of my own investigations - notice tasks 3&4 both have the same duration but different start dates...!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

• Marked as answer by Jssvish Friday, November 17, 2017 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Vishwas,

Project only knows that there are 60 mins in an hour, and 24 hours in a day; everything else is a configuration item.  So are you saying you have a calendar where all days are set to working (inc Sat and Sun), 10:00 - 18:00?.  If so, then you have 7 * 8 hours available per week = 56 hours.  What are the settings in File | options | Schedule.  They should match your calendar settings as they are configuration/conversion items.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is likely that your tasks do not start or finish at 08:00 or 17:00 respectively (this is the default, though your calendar might be set differently).  The easiest thing to do is to change the date format to display HH:MM.  

This will now show the times in the Gantt Chart.  

In terms of duration, it is calculated based on the calendar, and you might get different calculations based upon whether the task is manually scheduled or auto scheduled, and which calendar you are using.

4/11/2017 is a Saturday, and in the default calendar non working, so autoscheduled tasks cannot start on this day unless you use a calendar where the day is a working day, or a manually scheduled task.  When I enter a manually scheduled task to start on the 4/11, and then enter a duration of 30 days, the task is calculated to finish on the 14/12, which is 29 working days later.  

Also, when you enter 30days in the duration, MSProject takes the value of a day as the number of "hours per day" as defined in the schedule options, by default this is 8, so 30 days = 30*8 = 240 hours.  It then uses the calendar to work out when the task can finish.  

The best thing to do is review the settings I've mentioned and enter your own values so that you get a better understanding.  Here's a screen shot of some of my own investigations - notice tasks 3&4 both have the same duration but different start dates...!

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:54 AM
  • The problem is in Duration of one month shows 22 days how to set that duration.

if start is 15/11/2017 finish at 14/12/2017 but duration shows 22 days. i set default time 10:00AM to 06:00 PM and i already set that calendar at this time of all working days.

How to set this duration at 30 days.

Any changes occur in duration on any Holiday/ non-working day ?

• Edited by Jssvish Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Hi Vishwas,

Project only knows that there are 60 mins in an hour, and 24 hours in a day; everything else is a configuration item.  So are you saying you have a calendar where all days are set to working (inc Sat and Sun), 10:00 - 18:00?.  If so, then you have 7 * 8 hours available per week = 56 hours.  What are the settings in File | options | Schedule.  They should match your calendar settings as they are configuration/conversion items.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM