When I try to access Local Disk (C) a message pops up on my screen “access denied RRS feed

• Question

• got a problem with my Laptop •Manufacturer: HP •Model :Compaq CQ58

When I try to access Local Disk (C) a message pops up on my screen “access denied” when I view properties “used space 0 bytes” and “free space 0 bytes” drive c is shaded in blue completely. . .

Homegroup won't allow me to make changes. Some of messages I came across is “Can't open access control editor” or “your system administrator has blocked you” I can save file on Local Disk (C) and I can't view anything from Local Disk C, I can't install softwares, when I try to troubleshoot problems it says Windows can not access C:\Windows\system32\msdt.exe and when I check diagnose it says ”a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.

I tried to refresh it to factory settings when I click get started “no action at all” even tried the options that says Remove everything and reinstall windows, still the was not action then I tried Advanced Start-up but still it didn't work. . . What can I do?

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:21 PM Clarity
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:03 PM

Answers

• 1. Log in as a local administrator.

2. Take the ownership of the C: driver.

3. Add your ID in security and give full access.

4. Change the NTFS permission back to normal.

5. Reboot the computer.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, March 17, 2014 9:08 AM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:31 PM

All replies

• 1. Log in as a local administrator.

2. Take the ownership of the C: driver.

3. Add your ID in security and give full access.

4. Change the NTFS permission back to normal.

5. Reboot the computer.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, March 17, 2014 9:08 AM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Can you be a bit more explanatory about the steps we should take to resolve this?

I am experiencing same issues with my surface pro 3 and the onscreen keyboard does not have the special keys (ie fn, start etc)

Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:28 PM