WSUS 10.0.14393.2007 (Server 2016) Keeps Crashing!! - System.Net.WebException RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just built a WSUS server on my Windows Server 2016.
    8 Cores
    24GB RAM
    500 GB HDD.

I WSUS set to get updates from the internet.

I do have the driver's classification selected (I know many say not to have this class, but it is needed in my environment)

WSUS is set to get updates from the internet

Issue:
    Every time I go into the driver's update group to view driver's, my WSUS server crashes with the following error:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkUpdatePropertiesCache.GetAndCacheUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.UpdatesListPage.GetListRows()

I have changed the Recycling > Private Memory Limit KB) to "0". an restarted WSUS/and the server.
    The loading updates does not move from 0% and the server continues to crash only when going into the Drivers class.

I have ran WSUS server cleanup, and I am still hitting this bug.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:18 PM

All replies

• I bumped the amount of RAM from 24GB up to 34GB and I am still having the issue.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Follow up this troubleshooting guide and increase Private memory value of IIS in your WSUS,

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Troubleshooting-WSUS-d63da113?redir=0

Make sure to full patch your WSUS with latest Windows updates.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:52 PM
  • I tried each one of these steps and I am still having the issue.

I am going to re-install the entire WSUS role from scratch to see if that makes any different (I doubt it).

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend starting with cleaning up the current WSUS server, because many cases are caused by a backlog of too many updates and computers.
    Try the following steps:

1. If your WSUS console can still be opened, skip to the Server Cleanup Wizard.

2. Please run the cleanup wizard separately in the following order.

3. If the WSUS console has crashed frequently and cannot jump to the Server Cleanup Wizard, clean it up with the following PW script: "WSUS Cleanup".

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:09 AM
  • Shows 0 updates needed to be cleaned.

WSUS continues to crash when trying to view updates or last synchronizations.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.WsusSynchronizationInfo.InitializeDerivedProperties()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetSyncInfoRow(WsusSynchronizationInfo syncInfo)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetListRows()

• Edited by vs2017sv Friday, September 20, 2019 11:40 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 11:39 AM
  • I ran another test on my server.

I completely removed WSUS and WID.

I re-installed the role and only selected the Driver's classification.

This synchronized fine and I was able to view the updates and synchronizations history.

I went in and auto-approved all of the updates for the "driver's" classification.

WSUS once again is crashing..

Could this be a SQL overload?

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ApplyAutomaticUpdateApprovalRule(Int32 ruleId)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ApplyAutomaticUpdateApprovalRule(Int32 ruleId)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.AutomaticUpdateApprovalRule.ApplyRule()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Dialogs.RuleSettingsDialog.RunRuleAsync(Object state)

• Edited by vs2017sv Friday, September 20, 2019 6:03 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 6:02 PM
  • Did you completely update your WSUS server with latest Windows patches before installing WSUS role?
    Friday, September 20, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Yes I did update the windows server 100% before adding any roles.

Thanks

Monday, September 23, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

I did notice that if WSUS is added to the driver category, it will easily cause WSUS crash caused by insufficient private memory. Please consider adjusting the "Private Memory Limit (KB)" of the WSUS application pool in IIS to 0. If the operation is normal, consider setting the specific value.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:47 AM