none
DPM 2010 Best Practices? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I´m new with Data Protection Manager and I use DPM 2010 Backup for my Test-System. I´m using DPM 2010 to Backup the following Servers:

- physical DC (2008R2)
    - HV-Cluster contains those VMs (OS of all 2k8R2):
           - secondary DC
           - SQL-Server 2008 wir dynamics CRM 4.0
           - Exchange 2010
           - Sharepoint Foundation

Is there a Best Practice available to backup those config?
    At the moment i have one Backupgroup, containing all available mashines with services.

Thanks
    olli

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:38 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your answers guys.

I Think the DPM 2010 is a very nice Backup Tool for backing up a Windows infrastructure.
    I plan to install another Storage for my DPM, because we have to Back up all of our Data.

Cheers,
    Olli

• Marked as answer by OliverHu Friday, July 23, 2010 6:42 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hey Olli,

A best practice depends on your environment and the demands of the business.  I know it is again an answer that starts with "it depends" but allow me to explain it a bit.

First, what you need to know is the requirements of your business so that you know the RTO and RPO.  If they say no loss and never unavailable, start asking for a lot of money :-)

Once you know what is reasonable, you can start defining your protection groups.

A few examples based on your data:

DC: I personally use the BMR for my physical DC and do this once a day (night time) and take a recovery point manually after I get notification that there is a huge change done on the AD structure (both schema as additional users as...)

Secondary DC: I would only take the system state of that server, and use host-level protection to protect the entire VM additional.  I know that this takes additional space, but image how fast you would be able to recover to another Hyper-V host and have a domain controller up and running in case of a serious disaster.

SQL Server 2008: Again, dependant on what you can afford to loose.  If you have enough disk space, use a 4 hour full express backup with 15 minutes sync for x-number of days to disk.

Exchange 2010: See my previous comment.  But look also at the different possibilities.  Will this be a single server? A dag with a lot of servers?  Based on this information we can give you best practices but the full express and sync settings and so on will depend on how much storage you have (reminder: slow storage and therefore cheaper storage is an option ;-))

Sharepoint foundation: Same story here

Second: Make sure that you know your options for recovery.  Is it only full recovery in case of disaster?  Will you need the possibility to do item-level recovery?

These are just questions to get you started.  Once you know the answers to these questions, it should get you going (or ask us more questions :-))

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:59 AM
  • One other thing to keep in mind while planning for storage is to try evaluating the DPM calculator(s) available for various workload. 

They help you plan ahead of time what would you storage requirements look like. 

Thanks,

Parag Agrawal 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Thanks for your answers guys.

I Think the DPM 2010 is a very nice Backup Tool for backing up a Windows infrastructure.
    I plan to install another Storage for my DPM, because we have to Back up all of our Data.

Cheers,
    Olli

• Marked as answer by OliverHu Friday, July 23, 2010 6:42 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:01 AM
  • As a follow-up, I am used to the more "traditional" backup technologies that involved a full backup to tape on the weekend, and then incremental backups during the week.  I can clearly see the wisdom of Disk-based backups continuously, with a tape-backup for off-site once per week.  However, my incrementals used to roll off-site also, and I am somehow uncomfortable with keeping the disks in such close proximity to the servers should their be a physical disaster.  We have considered maybe running a couple of full tape backups per week, but there does not seem to be an easy way to insure we get only 2 or 3 tape backups per week.  Am I missing something in the settings?  What would Microsoft recommend for a small business balancing cost vs. recoverability?

-Randy

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:35 PM