set-csmediaconfiguration - Trunk Configuration Encryption Support Level - Difference? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure the difference here, I am trying to setup media bypass but my box doesn't support SRTP, I did this powershell command.

set-csmediaconfiguration –identity global –encryptionlevel supportencryption

Now under the media configuration it will only use SRTP if it is supported, what my question is having done that what does changing "Encryption Support Level" in Trunk Configuration do I know it also has to do with SRTP but if I changed it under the media configuration do I need to change it here as well. Are these two seperate SRTP settings. I just want to know what the difference between the two settings are since they both deal with SRTP support. I hope my question is clear.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Benjamin,

The difference between the two Encryption support level is the Encryption scope.

The cmdlet Set-csmediaconfiguration supports encyption to multimedia traffic (for example, audio and video transmissions) that travels between client endpoints and Mediation servers .

Trunk configuration Encryption support level is  used to help protect traffic between the Mediation Server and the gateway or PBX.

You can select supportencryption for csmediaconfiguration and select Not Supported for Trunk Encryption Level. That means the multimedia traffic can be transport to meiation server with SRTP encrytion. But the mediation server can decide to transport the multimedia traffic to gateway with encrypted or not.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Benjamin Jendrick Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:17 AM