Ramification of Changing from a Windows 7 Workgroup to Home group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've set up a Windows 7 Homegroup for my small office.

I am having some trouble with our practice management software named Avimark.  The problem is with running the application XP computers which are networked to the 'server.'

It has been suggested that I try establishing a Workgroup and scrap the Homegroup.  There's already a workgroup established along side the Homegroup.

My question is what are the ramifications of switching from Homegroup to Workgroup?

There's a cost/benefit ratio I have to weigh.  If I am going to have to re-install and re-network all my printers, this is not worth trying to me.

By scrapping my homegroup and making a workgroup instead, and I creating a lot of work for myself, with no guarantee the switch will solve my problem.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• What are the problems you are having with the software first of all?  I don't think changing from workgroup to homegroup will solve any issues.  What is the problem the xp computers have?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

To answer your questions, Workgroup and HomeGroup are network types that allow computers to share files and resources over a network.

They permit computers to share files, printers and other resources over a network.

But HomeGroups are a new feature to Windows 7 and is only compatible with other Windows 7 machines. If you switch from HomeGroup to Workgroup,  you would lose some functions such as “allowing automatic file sharing by category and resources”, password protected, etc.

I think the exactly solutions you want are

How to make Windows 7 work with older Windows versions for networking and file sharing.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, November 5, 2012 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:43 AM