none
Windows 10 Compatibility with MS Money RRS feed

• Question

• I have a really old version of MS Money which to date has been working fine. Now I have installed W10 it is saying it won't work because it needs Internet Explorer 6 installed. Any ideas how I do that, or get over this problem?
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

IE11 is pre-installed on WinX.

Start>IE

Since it is a really old version(which?) I doubt that MSMoney v x it will work with IE11, even with Quirks emulation.

You did not mention which web site you were using when the message "You need IE6 or higher to use this website" occurred...

this message usually occurs on banking websites, that have been improperly programmed to detect MSIE web browsers by sniffing the userAgent string sent to their servers. In such cases using IE11 on WinX should work, but a better solution is for the Microsoft engineers to contact the site programmers to help them fix the issue properly.

Please include the full address (copied from the Address bar) of any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 30, 2015 11:48 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  It's not a web site when I get the message..it's when MS Money starts.  It says it requires IE 6 to be installed.  Is that sensible?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Hi @dennis,

I would guess that MSMoney (version?) is connecting to one of your bank accounts when it starts?

Does the message occur if you first disconnect (unplug, power down the modem)?

This registry key should have a value for the emulation mode that MS Money should use

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:40 AM
  • The problem is that MSMoney expects no more than 15 characters in the IE version. This link explains and has a temporary solution but it involvs a registry hack. This worked for me: 

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-compatibility-with-microsoft-money/

• Proposed as answer by Naicape Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:05 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:05 AM
  • Obviously you have no idea what MS Money is.  Most people who do their own banking via computer know what this is even if they don't use it.  Ever heard of Quicken?  Something along those lines only more user friendly for the common folk. 

I have the same issues and I am considering removing Windows 10 and opting to go back to the time before I installed Windows 10.  This has been a mess and you can tell everyone that worked on Windows 10 they should've considered warning everyone that most of their stuff wouldn't be compatible with it and will mess up their lives!!!  So much for FREE.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:10 AM
  • Thanks you for this, the registry hack worked perfectly.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:02 PM