Software inventory not reporting files in C:\Program Files RRS feed

• Question

• I just enabled file inventory and chose to inventory *.exe and *.pst files and exclude the Windows folder.

Looked good until I realized that the list of executables on my PC was very small.  I noticed that while it had inventoried "C:\Program Files (x86)" it didn't inventory anything in C:\Program Files.

Any idea what might be causing this issue?

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

• Based on the small log file snippet above, I'd the system where you pulled it from is having WMI issues. You should run wmidiag on it and perhaps attempt a *repair* on it pending wmidiag's results (notice I said repair and not delete).

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, January 22, 2016 7:20 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:45 PM

All replies

• Have you reviewed filesystemfile.log and Inventoryagent.log on the client?

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:04 PM
  • The FileSystemFile.log file goes through a list of everything it's excluding, but a quick search turned up no results for "Program FIles" or the word "Files" except in the very first line that says what query is being ran.  Another server I have does show a few things in Program FIles, but just by looking through I notice that it missed several Java executables in C:\Program FIles\Java\jre6\bin. 

Both FileSystelFile.log files say they are skipping C:\Windows and C:\System Volume Information.

I did notice some lines marked in yellow for both PCs in InventoryAgent.log.
    The one that is showing some executables from Program Files but clearly not all, has these errors (just as some examples)
    Failed to get IWbemService Ptr for \\localhost\root\Microsoft\appvirt\client Namespace: 8004100E
    Failed to enumerate instances of Package: 8004100E
    Inventory: 8 Collection Task(s) failed.

Failed to get IWbemService Ptr for \\localhost\root\Microsoft\appvirt\client Namespace: 8004100E
    Failed to enumerate instances of Application: 8004100E

The one that doesn't have anything from Program Files, as a couple of examples;
    Failed to get IWbemService Ptr for \\\\.\\root\\ccm Namespace: 80041008
    Failed to enumerate instances of CCM_Client: 80041008
    Inventory: 2 Collection Task(s) failed.

Does that tell me anything?

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Any other ideas on this guys?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Even stranger, I have found a computer that IS reporting files from C:\Program FIles, but not everything.  

Our desktop guy's main complaint is it is finding setup.exe for AutoCAD, but not acad.exe.  In this case, it found a single .exe file in the Adobe Reader folder, but didn't report the actual executable (and several others) in that same exact folder.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Based on the small log file snippet above, I'd the system where you pulled it from is having WMI issues. You should run wmidiag on it and perhaps attempt a *repair* on it pending wmidiag's results (notice I said repair and not delete).

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, January 22, 2016 7:20 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:45 PM