none
Rank profile not listed in Search Action Links web part RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a new rank profile according to the instructions found on TechNet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg604772.aspx) but cannot appear to use it. I am unable to see it listed when following the instructions for making it available via the search action links web part. Where is it?

I have also manipulated the managed property boosts contained within that rank profile and can see that reflected in the ManagedPropertyBoosts.xml file on the QRServer (location D:\FASTSearch\etc\config_data\QRServer\webcluster\etc\qrserver) so I know that FAST is picking the new rank profile up.

How can I test the rank profile from the FAST server?

Also why can't I see it through the SharePoint UI?

Ceej
    www.3guysonsharepoint.com

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:56 PM

Answers

• Solved it! Would you believe that it was all down to permissions.

I began by analyzing exactly what the web part must be doing to retrieve the list of rank profiles and sortable properties. It must be communicating with the FAST Server and this would be via a service call. So I checked the ULS when editing the Search Action Links web part and found the following message

Could not retrieve RankProfiles from FAST AdminOM(SchemaOM)! Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Common.AdminException: Failed to communicate with the WCF service. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

So this is the problem. Now I can't be the only one who has experienced this and with the help of this post, http://www.rdacorp.com/2010/10/no-sorting-configuration-in-the-search-action-links-web-part/, and the contained link to the TechNet documentation, Create and set up the Query Search Service Application (FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint)   I was able to solve it by adding the application pool account tot he FASTSearchAdminstrators group on the FAST server. As the blog post mentions this also made my sortable properties available too. Result.

In my defence I did not install and configure this...! :-)

This answers the question. Should I mark it as an answer?

Ceej

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• OK, so I have made some progress so here is an update. Using Mossman's FAST for SharePoint Query Tool I have been able to demonstrate that the use of my new custom rank profile does indeed provide a much more relevant result set for my users. So that part is great. My rank profile does what I need.

The trouble is the second question of my original post. I can't see the rank profile through the SharePoint UI to make it available to my users as I understand I should be able to through the Search Action Links web part properties. It is is not listed in the 'Display' section. It is as though the SharePoint UI is not even aware of it. Have I missed a step. Do I need to do something to make the rank profile available? As an aside I have also noticed that there are none of the FAST sortable properties listed either. Has anyone seen anything similar?

If I cannot do this my current thinking is to create a custom full text index that is associated with my rank profile. I can then create a scope that uses FullTextIndex=MyFTI to tell FAST to use my index and hence my rank profile. Does this sound sensible? The annoyance is that I should not of course have to do this...

Can anyone help? Please?

Ceej

Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Solved it! Would you believe that it was all down to permissions.

I began by analyzing exactly what the web part must be doing to retrieve the list of rank profiles and sortable properties. It must be communicating with the FAST Server and this would be via a service call. So I checked the ULS when editing the Search Action Links web part and found the following message

Could not retrieve RankProfiles from FAST AdminOM(SchemaOM)! Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Common.AdminException: Failed to communicate with the WCF service. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

So this is the problem. Now I can't be the only one who has experienced this and with the help of this post, http://www.rdacorp.com/2010/10/no-sorting-configuration-in-the-search-action-links-web-part/, and the contained link to the TechNet documentation, Create and set up the Query Search Service Application (FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint)   I was able to solve it by adding the application pool account tot he FASTSearchAdminstrators group on the FAST server. As the blog post mentions this also made my sortable properties available too. Result.

In my defence I did not install and configure this...! :-)

This answers the question. Should I mark it as an answer?

Ceej

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:59 PM