none
DNS server does not direct connect from RDP to correct server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have spent some time researching but still not able to resolve this problem. 

In my enterprise, I have my own domain (O), the domain name is different from the enterprise's (called it E).  They are not trusted.

The issue is when I tried to RDP (mstsc)  to a machine in O from a laptop in E, it connects to any random machine the my domain O.  Unless I use mstsc /admin which only allows one console.  Because of this issue, people are doing trial and error and takes zillion years to connect to the correct machine.   Is this a known issue?  Anybody can help?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 17, 2016 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi cowboy0072,

>then in the log of DNS in Domain O

A little puzzled, how can you find the related log on the DNS server in domain O when you using IP address to connect?

Besides, please ping 123.123.123.123 from domain E, check if domain E could access the IP address. Also check if there is a NAT device for domain O, if we need to use NAT to access the private network of domain O, then we need to connect to the external interface of the NAT device.

Best Regards,

Anne  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 20, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• Oh, ver important, I RDP with IP, should be the best way to resolve connection.  but not connecting.
    Friday, June 17, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Hi cowboy0072,

Check if my understanding is correct, when computers in domain E RDP to computers in domain O, it can't connect with the correct target remote computer.

If you use the FQDN of the remote computer in mstsc, then we need to ensure the DNS resolution is correct, I noticed that you didn't built trust relationship between the two domains, then could clients in domain E resolve the FQDN of computers in domain O to correct IP addresses?

After verifying the DNS resolution, we need to ensure the network connection is correct, if domain E and domain O are separated private domains, then we need to set up side to side VPN to allow computers in different network can communicate with each other.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 17, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Correct, the DNS doesn't direct to the target machine.

the FQDN of machines in Domain E is different from that of domain O. won;t resolve.

What puzzle is how come using IP doesn't work.  should work, right?  Say I try to connect to target

123.123.123.123, then in the log of DNS in Domain O, I see somebody logs into 12.123.123.456 which goes to another machine. Why does this happen?

Friday, June 17, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Hi cowboy0072,

>then in the log of DNS in Domain O

A little puzzled, how can you find the related log on the DNS server in domain O when you using IP address to connect?

Besides, please ping 123.123.123.123 from domain E, check if domain E could access the IP address. Also check if there is a NAT device for domain O, if we need to use NAT to access the private network of domain O, then we need to connect to the external interface of the NAT device.

Best Regards,

Anne  

Monday, June 20, 2016 2:42 AM