none
Windows Defender or third-party anti-malware RRS feed

• Question

• Just downloaded the latest version of the http://www.thirdtier.net/ransomware-prevention-kit/ According to the documentation, Windows 10 1709 includes the Enhanced mitigation toolkit, which used to be a separate program. But: They require that Windows Defender be the default protection and you cannot use any other third-party protection. I.e. it's one or the other. Question is: which will do the better job - the upgraded Windows Defender or the third-party anti-malware?

Simon

Simon Weel

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

There's no easy yes-or-no answer to this controversial question.

As someone said, every copy of Windows 10 includes Windows Defender Antivirus (the successor to Microsoft Security Essentials), which includes all the features normally associated with third-party antivirus software. It downloads new signatures several times a day and also has a cloud-based component.

Please refer to the link below about What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?) to get more information.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what%E2%80%99s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hello Carl,

I read the article on Howtogeek, but it's about the 'old' Windows Defender - i.e. the version before Windows 10 1709. For that old version, the article is correct. For the new Defender, that article should be ignored as it recommends using additional anti-malware.

Sion

Simon Weel

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:32 AM