User receives a "server out of error" message RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 4 dual core 32 bit processor, 4 gb of memory, windows server 2003, running moss sharepoint 2007 service pack 1 , with a separate, shared, sql server 2005 32 bit processor.

Lat night, for the first time in the three years that I've been associated with sharepoint, a series of a half dozen or so events were generated of "server out of memory". on the Screen, the message was "There is no memory on the server to run your program." The server guys rebooted the machine, and it appears to be running okay right now.

Looking at the last two weeks of memory usage for the machine shows that about 10-11 days ago, the amount of memory being typically used by the machine increased quite a bit.

We've not installed any sharepoint fixes or service packs in this time frame. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened that I can recall. There may have been patches for the windows server - I'm uncertain. The machine is not being shared with other applications, but of course, the sharepoints present have things like workflows, etc. installed in forms libraries, a variety of uses of web parts, large lists, large files, etc.

When I look at the 12hive logs, I see the same things that I always see - site crawling nearly 24x7, files encountered that were too large to index, files whose path was too long, but I don't see anything that I can recognize as corresponding to the specific problem.

Does anyone have any ideas concerning things that could be checked to see if they are the cause of the memory issue? I presume that it is either a memory leak of some sort, or someone is making use of something different in sharepoint that is causing it to take more memory.

When I log onto the machine, start up the task manager, and see what processes are using the most memory, I see w3wp.exe growing in memory use as the day goes on - it is currently at 756,880k but grows as I watch, mssdmn.exe is at 157,884k and is not growing as fast as w3wp. mssearch.exe is at 98,500 kb, and owstime.exe is at 92,504k.

Thanks for any help you be able to offer regarding troubleshooting. I really need some good books and tools to assist in troubleshooting SharePoint.

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to do performance analysis for the same.

Do you have perfmon enabled on your server?

If yes then gather the perf logs and execute PAL on it it will show you the detailed reports.

Through ULS logs try to find out the processes running at that time. Check the timer jobs as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, December 23, 2011 2:37 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:19 PM