none
Error message - this project cannot be opened in read-write mode because a previous checkin for this project is not complete. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read the previous posts about this error message and I have tried all resolutions suggested but to no avail.

This week 4 Project Managers have reported this error message to me. Each time I have checked the Force Check-In Enterprise Objects, the queue and also the cache. None of the projects can be found anywhere. This is obviously frustrating for them and for myself.

If anyone has any advice on where to find these project and check them in properly, and also how to avoid this happening going forward, I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Clair.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:26 PM

Answers

• Clair --

Did you look at the local project Cache on the PC of each of the affected users?  Did you ask the affected users to clean out their Cache and try to open each project directly from the Project Server database, instead of opening it from the Cache?

There is a possibility that the Cache has gotten corrupted on the PC of each of your affected users.  To resolve possible Cache corruption, ask each of the affected users to do the following:

1.  Close Microsoft Project 2010.
    2.  Click the Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
    3.  In the Run dialog, enter the following command:

%appdata%\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache

4.  Click the OK button.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Lowey82 Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:32 PM

All replies

• Clair --

Did you look at the local project Cache on the PC of each of the affected users?  Did you ask the affected users to clean out their Cache and try to open each project directly from the Project Server database, instead of opening it from the Cache?

There is a possibility that the Cache has gotten corrupted on the PC of each of your affected users.  To resolve possible Cache corruption, ask each of the affected users to do the following:

1.  Close Microsoft Project 2010.
    2.  Click the Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
    3.  In the Run dialog, enter the following command:

%appdata%\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache

4.  Click the OK button.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Lowey82 Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I have tried your suggested resolution on 3 different PCs and it worked on all 3.

Thanks so much for your help,

Clair

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Clair --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Thanks Dale, Do you have any idea why this happens? This issue occurs too frequently. Is there any permanent fix for this?

Monday, March 3, 2014 9:51 AM
  • ftahul --

Most of the time, the problem is caused by the user exiting Microsoft Project while an enterprise project is still open.  Doing this often causes the enterprise project to get stuck as checked out in the Local Cache.  The way to avoid this is to close the project, wait until the check in is completed, and then to exit Microsoft Project.  This is basically a training issue.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 3, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Thanks a lot dale. It helps me well.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 3:28 AM
  • I had the same problem and it solved the problem for me.

Many Thanks,

Adnan Moyeed

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:46 AM
  • I had a user try this and they open Project back up, they now see 2 of the same projects.  When the first one is clicked, they receive a read-only message.  Help :-)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Thanks Dale, this resolved my issue....
    Friday, September 18, 2015 10:32 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the instructions. When I enter the command into the Run dialog, the only thing that happens is the cache folder opens. Is step 5 to delete all the contents of this folder?

Thanks,

-Brian

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:27 PM
  • Brian --

Sorry for the delay.  I was on a business trip last week.  Yes, delete the contents of the folder.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, January 28, 2017 10:39 PM