none
Command or script to uncheck/disable Backup (volume shadow copy) inside Hyper V's Integration Services

Question

• Hi,

BackupAssist could not back a VM SQL server if Backup (volume shadow copy) is checked inside the Hyper V/Integration Services. Can you help with a command or script to stop/uncheck Backup (volume shadow copy)?

Thank you so much.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can disable the Backup (volume shadow copy) under Integration Services by using the
    Disable-VMIntegrationService PowerShell cmdlet.

Example

Disable-VMIntegrationService -Name VSS -VMName MyVM

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

please see my following reply!

1. As the screenshot shows, I checked "Backup" in Hyper-V integration Services.

2. Please run PowerShell command " Disable-VMIntegrationService -Name Shutdown,VSS -VMName daniel001"(daniel001 is my VM's name, please use your name replaced)

3. After run the PowerShell command, we can see "Backup" in our Hyper-V integration Service is unchecked.

This link is for your reference

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/hyper-v/disable-vmintegrationservice?view=win10-ps

Thanks for your time, hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:59 AM
  • Hi VeeDao,

This is Daniel, wish you all the best!

May I know the current status of the problem? if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 19, 2018 1:52 AM
  • Thank you very much Daniel. The PS script works as you suggested.

My issue is that sometimes BackupAssist cannot complete taking a backup of a VM while Backup (volume shadow copy) is checked. Therefore, I want to run your script before BackupAssist starts to take a backup, then, I run your script again but this time to check the box Backup (volume shadow copy). VSSadmin list writers and VM's events have errors but I could not resolve them. So, I want to use the shortcut by using your script.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Hi VeeDao,

Thanks for your reply and have a nice day!

I am a bit confused about your reply, whether my reply has already solved your issue?  if not, please tell me what is the problem now?

if you want to turn the script into a shortcut, you can enter this script in PowerShell ISE and save it to your desktop.

Thanks for your time, please let me know if you have any question.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

This is Daniel and wish you all the best!

May I know the current status of the problem, if you have any question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Friday, November 23, 2018 1:29 AM
  • Hi VeeDao,

Wish you all the best!

Just confirmed the current status of the problem, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, November 26, 2018 3:58 AM