none
Any method to assign specified drive letter to all different USB flash RRS feed

• Question

• A user needs to use around eight differnet USB flash drive and her computer's drive D is mapping to Network drive which cannot be changed.

When she plug the USB Flash drive_1 which will be assigned to Drive D which cannot be displayed as Drive D is mapping to Network Drive.
    It can be viewed normally after changed USB Flash drive_1 to Drive F by administrator.

When she plug USB Flash drive_2 which will be assigned to Drive D again, it can be viewed normally after changed it to Drive F by administrator again.

But when she plug back the USB Flash drive_1. It will be assigned to Drive D again.

As a result,  it won't work  for all USB Flash drives to be assigned with same persistent drive letter F.

- Are there any method to force a USB flash (1 to 8) to always keep the same drive letter F?
    - Or make it to keep the same drive letter F for new USB flash which is never used in that computer?
    - Or any method to make it to start with Drive letter F instead of Drive letter D?

• Edited by EcoAxis Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:17 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Ashidacchi,

Yes, can change longer name in Volume label and it won't be changed on different USB port or PC.  But still cannot solve our problem that it will use Drive D which is a Network Drive on our environment.

I ever though that we can assign the first letter drive for USB flash drive by changing registry.

Finally, I ask the user to use two USB flash with bigger storage size only instead of eight USB flash drive. 

The better solution should change their network Drive D to other drive letter. Thanks.

• Edited by EcoAxis Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by EcoAxis Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:17 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hi EcoAxis,

I agree with you. 
    Windows assigns a drive letter from D to Z, uses younger alphabet unused. And many users are using more than one drive. So, mapping D for network drive would be recommended. In these days, USB flash memory is getting cheaper, we can purchase much more bigger storage size of USB memory than old days.

Regards,

Ashidacchi >> http://hokusosha.com/

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In advance, this is based on my experience/test, instead of theoretical or MS official documents.

I'm afraid it would be impossible for us to fix permanently a drive letter of USB flash memory. 
    Even if you/she change a drive letter of a specific USB flash memory in Disk Management (e.g. from D to F), it will be changed when it is connected next time.

In my experience, sometimes a drive letter is kept left as it was after changing, but not always, not all USB flash memory. I suppose it's a kind of destiny with a removable device.

Please give each of them with different name for distinguish them easily.
    You/She can change device name easily with File Explorer. 
    right-click on a drive > [Rename]

Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:19 AM
  • How did you change the drive D to F? 

Follow the reference to assign a specific drive letter in Windows:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/assign-permanent-letter-removable-usb-drive-windows/

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

If it doesn't help, what I can think of is to assign a high drive letter (z:) to your network drive.

In addition, you need to make sure you have installed the latest updates, seems that there is a hotfix applied to resolve the problem in winxp sp3. If none of these suggestions help, i think there is no build-in methods to resolve the problem except manually change the drive letter each time you plug in the usb device.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:15 AM
  • @vivian_zhou,
      I guess many people, including EcoAxis, know how to change a drive letter.
      What they want to know is how to make a changed drive letter left as it is/was, when USB flash memory is connected next time.
      If you know it, please provide. (I sincerely want to know how to)
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:24 AM
  • @vivian_zhou,

The OS is Windows 7 Prof.

@Ashidacchi,

Yes, you are right.

For example.
    USB Flash-1 (has assigned permanent letter to Drive F in Disk Management)
    USB Flash-2 (has assigned permanent letter to Drive Z in Disk Management)

When you unplug and re-insert USB Flash-1 and Flash 2, it can be mapped to specified Drive F and Z successfully.

But when plug USB Flash-3 or other USB Flash other than USB Flash-1 and Flash 2, it will use drive D again.

If assign USB Flash-3 to Drive F in Disk Management and uplug it, USB Flash-1 will map to drive D after insert USB Flash-1. Not drive F.

So the problem seems cannot be solved.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

From your description , what if you assign USB Flash-3 with a different drive letter like G:?

You mentioned you have 8 USB Flash drive, try to assign drive letter from E: to L: ? 

Make sure they're not duplicated.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:46 AM
  • @vivian_zhou

Yes can work if assign them all from drive letter E to L.

But it's a business computer which has mapped to different network drives using in Production environment.  ^(oo)^

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hi EcoAxis,

Changing volume label is what I suggested before. And I would like to propose it again. 
    Volume label is longer than drive letter, so we can name it with some meaning, e.g. "Tom's Work", "MP3 Music", "Photo_2018", and so on. 

And it is not changed when you connect it to different USB port or other PC, unless you rename it.
    Don't you think it better than drive letter?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

Yes, can change longer name in Volume label and it won't be changed on different USB port or PC.  But still cannot solve our problem that it will use Drive D which is a Network Drive on our environment.

I ever though that we can assign the first letter drive for USB flash drive by changing registry.

Finally, I ask the user to use two USB flash with bigger storage size only instead of eight USB flash drive. 

The better solution should change their network Drive D to other drive letter. Thanks.

• Edited by EcoAxis Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hi EcoAxis,

I agree with you. 
    Windows assigns a drive letter from D to Z, uses younger alphabet unused. And many users are using more than one drive. So, mapping D for network drive would be recommended. In these days, USB flash memory is getting cheaper, we can purchase much more bigger storage size of USB memory than old days.

Regards,

Ashidacchi >> http://hokusosha.com/

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:13 AM