Normal.dot Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• We have 1000+ users in my organisation.  We are making prepartions to deploy office 2010 to all client machines which happen to be windows 7.  I'm looking for some advice how to deploy normal.dot to all client machines.  Can anybody advise how organisations of similar sizes have deployed normal.dot?  Does anybody have any real life scenarios?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

• The correct way to provide corporate styling and/or common macros is via Templates other than "Normal", which you can place on a network share. The location(s) can be set and trusted via Group Policy.

The Normal Template belongs to the user and should Roam with them. It is not yours to control.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:07 AM

All replies

• In Word 2007 and Word 2010 the Normal template is named Normal.dotm meaning it's a macro enabled template. Word will automatically create a Normal.dotm template in the user's AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates directory.

Is your question based on a desire to implement a corporate style guide, common macros, etc?

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Yes thats correct, we would like the ability to create a corparte style along with common macros.  But i would also like to find out how other organisations have implemented Normal.dot?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:56 AM
  • The correct way to provide corporate styling and/or common macros is via Templates other than "Normal", which you can place on a network share. The location(s) can be set and trusted via Group Policy.

The Normal Template belongs to the user and should Roam with them. It is not yours to control.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:07 AM