none
PDC and ADC in server 2008

Question

• Hi,I have configured on PDC and ADC in windows server 2008 standard edition and presently PDC is working and ADC has been synced with PDC and now in offline mode.My Question is when i turned off PDC and made online ADC then i am unable to get the AD user and computer snap in and got some errors.I dont know what to do and wanted to know the procedure so that my clients would get authenticated with ADC when PDC off.Pl suggest the best step by step procedure 

Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is your PDC and ADC configured properly?

Please try to run the Commands "dcdiag" without quotes. And see if it gives any errors, and run the command "repadmin /syncall" . Please post any errors your getting. 

Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hi Raamit,

You cannot switch off PDC. It holds necessary FSMO roles. If you switch off PDC, your ADC won't work and you won't be able to create users (and other task). That's why you are unable to get to AD user and computer snap-in.

If you switch off PDC, you need to transfer the FSMO roles to your ADC first and it will work for authentication etc.

Thank you,

Karim

Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Hi,I have configured on PDC and ADC in windows server 2008 standard edition and presently PDC is working and ADC has been synced with PDC and now in offline mode.My Question is when i turned off PDC and made online ADC then i am unable to get the AD user and computer snap in and got some errors.I dont know what to do and wanted to know the procedure so that my clients would get authenticated with ADC when PDC off.Pl suggest the best step by step procedure 

So first you should check ADC health with "dcdiag" then check the replication status with "repadmin /replsum"..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:33 PM
  • I assume that your PDC is also holding the rest of FSMO roles. If yes, you should not switch it off for a long time. The possible impacts are described here: http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/2004/06/15/fsmo.html

Before switching off your DC, please use dcdiag and repadmin to make sure that your DCs and AD replication are healthy. You need to fix the errors if any is showing.

Also, and before switching off your DC, make sure the second is a DNS server and is holding your DNS zones. Endpoints should point to the second DC as DNS server.

If the issue persists, please share the error messages here.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:39 AM