MMC and Windows Firewall and Advanced Security RRS feed

• Question

• In April 2011, Microsoft downloaded, without consulting me about the kind of use in my home, installed MMC and Windows Firewall with advanced security.Using my computer since has become a progressively unplesant experience. At first I thought that all windows security systems were must be as hard to learn and that the ASC thought it was the owner of MY computer. I learned to write new rules for gonig thru firewall,  because firewall wouldn't let a browser out, and blamed my inability to go on the net to poor spelling or the server being shut down, and had issues with my internet connection. My system , when I couldn't make a connection, that something was wrong with my ethernet cable. Both issues were actually caused by my large business security system. I would write new rules for my firewall, and still not get on the net. Actually,security was using different rules , hidden, and pretending that it was using the rules I had written by showing my rules on the firewall panel. To get to the net, I had to resort to turning off the firewall. When I realized what was happening, I tried to go to either MS or Toshiba for a solution, and after loging in, my home computer actually threw dialog boxes and proggram panels in my way so I could not communicate with either company. I immediately went to desktop to stop a out of control security system. Went to MMC and the console tried to turn itself off to my control.It tells me what I can or can't name my files. It has rearanged my music,etc files with a jumble of non related files,and when I try to rearrange them, it denies my right to straighten them out. It shut off the Credentials Mgr, taken away my administers rights for a while,and generally been a burden to a home computer and user. I cant uninstall it and dealing with it has become a burden.A few days ago, it disabled most of the programs needed to get on the net, and when I turned them back on, it shut them off after I closed the services. Microsoft said that the responsibility was Toshibas, the actual system came preinstalled, except for the security system that MS installed. My original firewall would not turn on and had quit working. MS said it was unrepairable and would replace it. Thats when the trouble started. I need to get this system controlled or go to a non MS system soon, as I have run out of patience dealing with this problem, and it seems to be getting worse.

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

• The symptoms you are describing sound more like malicious software pretending to be Microsoft than the actual MS Firewall. I recommend going to http://safety.live.com and downloading the Microsoft Safety Scanner and running a full scan on the system. If you are unable to do this because of popups or the site being blocked, please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper from another system and create a boot CD or USB drive to scan the system with. I would not be surprised if you have a variant of FakeSysDef or FakeRean on the system causing you all this trouble. If that is the case, or if you find any other type of infection, you can follow the instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/protect/resources/support.aspx, or call 1-800-PCSafety to get further assistance. Good Luck -Kevin

Thanks, Kevin

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:16 AM