windows Disk Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello... I was wondeirng if anything has changed with windows disk protection.  I am currently developing an image that allows a user to be an administrator, and install stuff and then clear the changes and sort of revert back to stock.  The problem I am having is I cannot make it so that that user cannot access the disk protection utility.  They have easy access if they right click on the system icon on the desktop and manage users and reset the admin password, logon as admin and reset setting.

is this possible with this version?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

While strongly recommend against granting users administrator rights, you may be able to mitigate this particular issue by setting security attributes on the SteadyState console that prevent the user from accessing it.  To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open Explorer and go to "%ProgramFiles%\Windows SteadyState". 
    2. Right-click sctui.exe and select Properties
    3. Go to the Security tab
    4. If the user that you want to restrict is not listed, click "Add..." and add the user
    5. Click the checkbox for "Full Control" under the "Deny" column (this will cause several other Deny checkboxes to be selected)
    6. Click OK

If you don't see the security tab, you'll need to disable Simple File Sharing by going to Tools > Folder Options, click the View tab, then uncheck the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" check box at the bottom of the "Advanced settings" list.

It's important that you only do this for a restricted user with administrator rights.  Do not do this for the "main" administrator account that you use to access SteadyState.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:44 PM