Window 7 Roaming Profile Copies local to server location RRS feed

• Question

• Having an issue with machines running windows 7 with roaming profiles enabled.  The machine seems to copy the appdata roaming which is expected as well as appdata local and local low which is the problem.  This is causing many issues considering appdata local is where user PST files are stored and roaming profiles have gorwn to 14.3 GB as a result which is causing significant problems.  I have not found any documentation on this specific issue.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding this particular application of Outlook, I suggest to re-set the Outlook PST or OST files to a network location. Based on my understanding this is the only manner to achieve this.

In addition, why do not consider the Folder Redirection? I think this can be a work round for your situation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778976(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:09 AM
  • I have exact same problem. This problem does not exist in Windows XP or Windows Vista (not 100% sure about vista).

Juke's points does not make sense so you can ignore them. Pointing local outlook pst file to network location does not make sense. (also, you dont want re-set temp files, google maps temp files.. etc. "local\" es exaclty right path to them) Folde reirection is not an option when you have mobile users. (lets say laptot, how will log outside sometimes, so they need desktop etc)

If anyone have more info about this issue, please post.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:04 AM
  • And, if you open this group policy:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Exlude directories in roaming profile
    That policy states:

By default, the Appdata\Local and Appdata\LocalLow folders and 
    all their subfolders like the History, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders
    are excluded from the user's roaming profile.

However, Win7 does not work that way. Why? I have no idea.
    I will try add those folders explicitly to this policy. I hope it helps.

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Exact same issue here. Turned out that the afflicted users Registry Key (In Hkey_Users) was corrputed...wasn't getting the Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer hive and data copied down.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi SmashOgre,

we occosionally also have this problem, that appdata local is inside counter of profile manager, thus exceeding defined profile quota.
    What exactly to do to get the hive regkey repaired ?  
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:18 PM