Replacing a domain joined PC, how to ensure documents are available on the new PC? RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm working on a network with a Windows Small Business Server 2008 domain, that I didn't set up and don't know a lot about. A number of the PCs need to be replaced (changing Win 7 Pro clients for Win 7 Ultimate ones, since we need Bitlocker).

I joined one of the new PCs to the domain, but when the user logged in their documents that they had available on the old PC weren't on the new one. I assumed roaming profiles or/and folder redirection would be in use, but either they aren't, or they're not working as I expect.

1) How can I tell where people's documents are physically stored? Ie are they on the SBS server, or on the clients? (I have a Network Administrator account on the server.)

2) For various possible answers to 1, how can I get the documents to show up on the new PC? With standalone PCs I can just use Windows Easy Transfer, but I've no idea if that works in a domain environment.

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:53 AM

Answers

• Well, I used Windows Easy Transfer. It didn't throw any errors. Guess if my users can't find their files, I'll find out when I get calls about it!
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:33 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 11:45 AM

All replies

• Update: So I think I've figured out that we're NOT using Roaming Profiles or Folder Redirection in most cases. In Active Directory Users and Computers on the server, I find the users, and everything's blank on the "profile" tab in their properties. In the Windows SBS Console, under Users and Groups I go the "Redirect folders for user accounts to the server" task, and under the "User Account" page on the dialogue only a few accounts have it enabled.

Maybe I'll just try Windows Easy Transfer and see what happens...

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi there, without roaming profiles (as you say if its not in the users AD profiles tab then it isn't there) and folder redirection then you will have to manually copy files from the profile on the old computer. Favourites, My Documents and Desktop are probably the most relevant.

You could set up roaming profiles and/or folder redirection first then when you copy the files they will be available on whichever pc the network the user logs on to, or copy the files first, then set up redirection and use the options to copy/move existing contents.

Hope that helps but sounds like you are on the right track.

James

James Yeomans MCSE MCITP(sa,ea,ema) www.dataworks-it.co.uk

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Well, I used Windows Easy Transfer. It didn't throw any errors. Guess if my users can't find their files, I'll find out when I get calls about it!
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:33 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 11:45 AM