Modified explorer.exe & explorerframe.dll reset after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I'm trying to use modified explorer.exe & explorerframe.dll files for themes on my Windows 7 Pro (x86) machine. I've used the "takeown" and "icacls" commands in order to take ownership and full permissions of these two single files and then renamed & replaced them with the two modified files. I still have the backups of the originals. I've done this process repeatedly - so I know that I am having success with changing the files initially.

After rebooting, the settings seem to reset. The default Start Orb is back and sometimes the explorerframe resets to a generic white Windows 98 theme.

I would prefer not to use any prepackaged tools to solve this issue, as I don't know exactly what they are doing and I'd rather understand the process in case I need to troubleshoot or to prevent other issues to my machine.

Some more background:

• I'm on a domain
    • I have not patched my PC to use 3rd party themes, I'm using UxStyle
    • I'm unable to patch my PC - it crashes.

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To keep the system secure and stable and avoid some unexpected issues, it is not recommended to modify the system files and components.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To keep the system secure and stable and avoid some unexpected issues, it is not recommended to modify the system files and components.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:57 AM
  • My guess is Windows reverts to the default settings by design. As Sabrina said it's not meant to be modified (but ofcourse it's fun to do ;) ).

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Windows is just like that. For hassle free computers, You can't beat a Mac. For the most customization, that's Linux. Windows is in between.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:04 PM